Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have a laptop which has suse linux installed on it. so now i wanted to remove the suse linux and install the winXP but my installation fails. the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Installing Win XP on Linux

I currently have a laptop which has suse linux installed on it. so now i wanted to remove the suse linux and install the winXP but my installation fails. the message i get is:
    setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
    make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. this may involve running a manufacture-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

plz help coz i firstly did not know where to start so i ended up wiping out my disks with the command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=521 count=1. and it did not help the os was out but the same problem stil happens. and also tried the fdisk still no progress achieved

Welcome to LinuxForums!

Aside from following the suggestion of the error (checking you cables and such), you might get more help installing XP on a Windows Forum. Here's some Google results to help you find one:
    XP forums - Google Search
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

this means the CD you are trying to use to install XP doesn't have a driver in it for your hard disk, you will need to slipstream the installation disc so it has the driver in it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Wink

Thanks guys the suggestions helpd a lot and this is how I overcame the problem:

method is to change the SATA Mode to IDE in BIOS. My computer BIOS is Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00PG and I can change the SATA Mode to IDE by going to Integrated Peripherals > SATA Devices Configuration > SATA Mode [RAID] and change to [IDE].

Sorry I wasn't more helpful, but I'm glad you got it sorted!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi jayd512,

I think your complete HDD formated under ext2 or ext3....
    There is a no partition of Fat32 or NTFS to install windows-XP, so follow these steps
    1)take partition cd and format the file system to ntfs .
    2)now restart the system with windows-xp cd.....

Now i think it works....
    if you solve the issue, reply is must.