Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use tarball to install SuSE. when I first install it, it boot up ok. then I want to change hard disk partition. I use cfdisk to repartition the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE installation problem

I use tarball to install SuSE. when I first install it, it boot up ok. then I want to change hard disk partition. I use cfdisk to repartition the hard disk and do the same steps as my first time install it. after that, I reboot the system, I get "disk error, press any key to restart" . system not boot any more.

please help.

Just Joined!

adding

Quote Originally Posted by jsheng8 View Post
    I use tarball to install SuSE. when I first install it, it boot up ok. then I want to change hard disk partition. I use cfdisk to repartition the hard disk and do the same steps as my first time install it. after that, I reboot the system, I get "disk error, press any key to restart" . system not boot any more.

please help.
    never installed using a tarball but maybe something happened when you repartitioned which created the disk error. Is the suse filesystem encrypted?are there less than 4 primary partitions? Does the bootloader know about the new layout?

Just Joined!
    thank you don_9129,
    SuSE filesystem seems ok. I use grub-install command to install the system, I also edited /etc/fstab file and /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    swap is located in /dev/sda2, root is located in /dev/sdb2.
    /etc/fstab file looks like these:
    /dev/sdb2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 1
    /boot/grub/menu.lst file looks like these:

Gfxenu (hd1,1)/boot/message
    Title SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
    root (hd1, 1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb2 vga=0x314 resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd
    ….
    I have 2 hard disk. 3 primany partitions in /dev/sda, 2 primany partitions in /dev/sdb.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    64bit or 32bit? Pretty sure 32nit Arch. supports only 4 primary Partitions even if it is spread across 2 HDs.

Maybe GPart it back down to 4 or less and reinstall on a logical/extended.
    ___
    Off the subject, I think your machine will run faster if you split your swap across both drives, with 2 drive controllers it will balance the load.

Have you tried VMWare? May be easier?
    Last edited by don_9129; 03-20-2009 at 03:43 AM. Reason: edit

Just Joined!
    thank you don_9129,
    I can have 4 primary Partitions on each HD.
    I found out my problem was grub.conf file not right. After I modified grub.conf file, system booted up.

I will try your split swap across both drivers idea.

Thank you very much.