Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello, it is best that i introduse myself, i'm Voffinn... And i would like to start of, by asking u all a question... I'm going to innstall linux on this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What distro would you use?

Hello, it is best that i introduse myself, i'm Voffinn...

And i would like to start of, by asking u all a question...

I'm going to innstall linux on this machine, but i would like to have the choice to "dual-boot" with xp pro. I have tried it before, but with badluck. Lilo always screws things up for me.
    So, the question is (*drumroll*) what distro should i (a linux newbie) for my comp. ? i'm going to use the comp for, the internet, mabye games (WineX), and also to learn linux. Some ppl say that you should start with Mandrake 9.1, but i want to get your opinon.

(Sorry about all the typos

Linux User
    Well, I'd go with Slackware, but that's me.

Besides, most people who are new often find it frustrating to plow manuals to get ccertian things working which they often take for granted, like xfree, the cdrom etc.

But, I'd say: buy Redhat or Suse, besides from the support you will get, the manuals are pretty good to read while installing etc.

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    V,

Well, it seems like Mandrake is the easiest one to install and maintain. Redhat is probably similar to Mandrake regarding ease and maintanence. I've used Redhat before but currently, I'm using Debian. Debian might be harder to install than the first two but it's a great distro. I can't see myself ever leaving it. One reason why I use Debian is because software installation is very easy with Debian. Let's say for example you wanted to install a text editor called emacs. In other distros, package dependency isn't automatically dealt with. This means that if you want to install emacs, it might depend on other packages being installed. Sometimes a package may need 5 packages to run. Hence, you may have to install 5 packages depending on it's ORDER. All of this can become very annoying so Debian has a tool called apt. Now, I've heard from someone that Mandrake supports apt and if it does, that's great.
    My advice is that you install either Mandrake or Redhat at first and get the general feel of linux. You'll see that every distro has it's pros and cons. Once you can determine that, that's when you might want to switch over o a different distribution to balance the differenct distros.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    well, aint gona buy something that i am not sure that i will use... i would buy it if i have been useing it for ages ...

but i cant make up my mind, rh or mand. ?

Just Joined!
    i took a better look into SuSE .... and i desided to testdrive the 8.2 professional (want the apacthe www server: ) but when i am looking in the ftp server that mirrors suse here to iceland, there is only one .iso .... and on the homepage says 5 disks ... and than i look to ftp.suse.com ... and oh my god. still just one image... where are they

Linux Enthusiast
    you have to buy suse unless you get it from a mirror that someone set up.
    the alternative (which isn't very good) is to use the live cd.

Personally, I have tried lots of distros and still find red hat to be my favorite. Red Hat 9 is very good, but I still prefer 7.3.

see my guide below for more info.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Voffinn
    well, aint gona buy something that i am not sure that i will use... i would buy it if i have been useing it for ages ...
    Well, you know, you don't have to. Just download some distros, burn them and try them out. Yet another advantage of Linux being free.

Personally, I'm using RedHat, but that really doesn't mean that it's the best. I do know, however, that unless you have some peculiar hardware of some sort, it's easy to set up, and it autodetects mostly everything.

Just Joined!
    my main concerns are that when i try to put up the dualboot i either lilo or grub, i will sure screw xp and all of my stuff up.

thx, yowwww....u might get a msg from me, althroug i dont use icq, do u use msn or just plain old irc?

And does somebody of you all linux guru's know of some guide for setting up the dual boot ? [Any help appresiated]

Linux Guru
    There no problem with setting up a dual boot. Just remember to keep Windows on the first partition on the drive and you'll be fine. That is really important on the other hand, since Windows' bootstrap code still doesn't know how to use LBA.

Just Joined!
    but what if xp is on a second disc ?
    My disk layout is the following:

2x80gb disk
    1x10gb disk

C:\ Partion Size : 80 Filesystem : NTFS
    D:\ My cd-rw
    E:\ Partion Size : 10 Filesystem : NTFS | This is the small 10gb, i could use it for the linux...
    F:\ Partion Size : 60 Filesystem : NTFS | Part one of the second 80gb disc.
    G:\ Partion Size : 9,75 Filesystem : NTFS | Xp partion

And here is a image that could make it easier to understand my bullsh**

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast