Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dears, i'm installing scisoft (a scientific software package) on openSUSE 11.0. when i try to install with Code: rpm -iv sth.rpm it reports that sth.rpm requiers /bin/env. i have env ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RPM dependency failure: /usr/bin/env instead of /bin/env

Dears,

i'm installing scisoft (a scientific software package) on openSUSE 11.0.
    when i try to install with
    Code:
    rpm -iv sth.rpm
    it reports that sth.rpm requiers /bin/env. i have env program installed at /usr/bin/env.

how do I change this ? i have this idea:

to create a RPM package that does nothing, only tell the system that an "env" program is installed there and pass the dependency check. then i will create a symbolic link from /usr/bin/env to /bin/env.

i must note that i cannot change the RPM packages for scisoft.

any ideas are appreciated!

You need to create a symbolic link in /bin/ to /usr/bin/env like this:
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/env /bin/env
    You need to do this as root.
    Last edited by peteh; 04-10-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: to add comment on root
    Pete

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. I know this, but i cannot convience the package manager that this link is present! I'm using YaST.

Just Joined!
    You could use the --nodeps option to have rpm skip the dependency checks. This is normally not suggested because it could result in broken installs, but in this case, I think it's a good idea.

Just Joined!
    as i said above, i am using YaST2 and it complains about the dependecies. does anybody know where do YaST2 keep it's database?

my own idea is creating a fake package that "seem to" provide the /bin/env dependency.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If /bin and /usr/bin are on the same device (disc+partition) then you should be able to create a hard link which will fool yast2 or anything else: ln -d /usr/bin/env /bin/env
    Make sure you have first removed the soft link created previously, otherwise you will end up with a cyclic link.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!