Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, after a recent scare with WinXP, Conficker and our Paypal login details, I've creatd a frugal install on the main house laptop in order that we can use when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question removing frugal installation of SLAX created with Unetbootin

Hiya,

after a recent scare with WinXP, Conficker and our Paypal login details, I've creatd a frugal install on the main house laptop in order that we can use when we need to do online banking, ebaying, paypal-ing etc. It is just a darn site cheaper and easier than creating a completely safe Windows set up.

So, I decided on SLAX as I liked the interface/GUI and have managed to get the wifi up and running quite easily.

The distro is fine and dandy for word processing, surfing safley and watching/listening to various media through the included players.

This said, there have been a few issues with SLAX and I'd like to get rid of it and try Puppy.

As the frugal install was created with Unetbootin, how do I go about deleting or overwriting with Puppy 4.2, the SLAX install?

I can see various folders and files on C: that are named SLAX this or Unetbootin that, but I just don't want to go deleting stuff , effectively at random, as my linux knowledge is pretty much end user tbh beyond carrying out instructions I've read/downloaded.

So, getting rid of a frugal install of Slax that was created with Unetbootin

Linux Guru
    From Unetbootins Homepage

Removal Instructions (Applicable only to Hard Disk / "frugal installs")

If using Windows, UNetbootin should prompt you to remove it the next time you boot into Windows. Alternatively, you can remove it via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

If using Linux, re-run the UNetbootin executable (with root priveledges), and press OK when prompted to uninstall.

Removal is only required if you used the "Hard Drive" installation mode; to remove the bootloader from a USB drive, back up its contents and reformat it.

Uninstalling UNetbootin simply removes the UNetbootin entry from your boot menu; if you installed an operating system to a partition using UNetbootin, removing UNetbootin will not remove the OS.

To manually remove a Linux installation, you will have to restore the Windows bootloader using "fixmbr" from a recovery CD, and use Parted Magic to delete the Linux partition and expand the Windows partition.
    I don't run unetbootin frugal installs so this is all I can dig up for
    you.

Welcome to LinuxForums!

I've ran Unetbootin a few times from Windows platforms. And while I've not done this, it should work. Just edit the URL in your Unetbootin. Change it from the SLAX URL to the appropriate one for Puppy. You should be able to install puppy right on top of SLAX. No need to remove anything.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close