Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering what various ways people support linux (if at all). This is not a challenge or a competition, just wondering. I for example, use it all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

how do you support linux?

I was just wondering what various ways people support linux (if at all). This is not a challenge or a competition, just wondering.

I for example, use it all the time and have bought a few books and bought Red Hat 7.3. I don't pay for the subscription service though cuz I don't think they have designed it properly. I also tell people about linux and its benefits. I also wrote a guide that is listed below for newbies.

How bout everyone else??

Linux User

HELP OTHER NEWBIES

I think the best way to support Linux is to help others new to OS. Linux is hard to get into and thats why so many dont use it. If you help newbies theyll sooner or lator becaome more knowledgable and help others get into Linux and so on.

Linux Enthusiast
    That's one of the main reasons why I wrote my guide and I am willing to help people that are new to linux.

Good point.

Linux Guru
    Well, if not anything else, I hope that I have helped countless people out here on this forum.

I'm also trying my hardest to get people into using Linux. I'm pretty unsuccessful, though, since most of my friends only (or at least mostly) use their computers for gaming, so... This far I have gotten one friend to use it, and he loves it whole-heartedly. He even convinced his little brother to start using it as well. I almost got my little sister (12 years old) to use it, but you know how they are... if it's not like what their friends have, then it's wrong.

I've also been thinking about writing a guide, but I haven't got around to get my SGML tools working. I wasn't planning on making it like yowwww's guide, but more like a guide for the patient, making them actually understand what was going on behind the scenes, learning them to solve problems in a general manner and so on. Helping them get the computer and Linux thinking, so to speak.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that would be a good idea, Dolda. My guide is more for newbies and tells people how to do things and get results short term. I don't really get into explaining everything since I want it to be easy for newbies to understand.

A guide on the specifics of what linux is actually doing and functioning would be nice for people who have an interest in learning all the details. At the very least, they could read it when they had time and it might help them to understand why things are done the way they are.

What I love about linux is the empirical demonstrations I get to do. I had created a few dual boot systems for a customer of mine. Recently I was asked to set up a dsl connection for that customer and did it in about 45 seconds total in linux and windows was quite the hassle. It was great, we both laughed our a$$es off.

The same thing happened with the printers.
    Linux = 25 seconds
    Windows = install, reboot, configure, reboot, reboot, reboot, puke!

Linux Engineer
    ive had the same thign with printers and even winmodems... linux is done in like 30 seconds... or 30 seconds after the dload finished for the modem, windoze needed 3 restarts for the modem + aboput 30 mins work, and the printer took like an hour and needs another hour spent reinstalling it about once a month.

as for supporting linux, i actually purchased a retail version of mdk a couple weeks ago, and im always tellign people that the easiset way to fix every problem they have on their windows comp at once is to put linux on