Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a huge problem with installing linux. Whatever distro i use, the bootloader doesn't work. i've tried fedora 10, opengeu 8.10 (ubuntu based), opensuse 11.1 (twice) and the bootloader ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation [SOLVED] Bootloader Problem

I have a huge problem with installing linux. Whatever distro i use, the bootloader doesn't work.

i've tried fedora 10, opengeu 8.10 (ubuntu based), opensuse 11.1 (twice) and the bootloader is the only place that stuffs up.

sba - 80gb win IDE drive.-------------untouched, i aint touching it.

sdb- external WD usb hdd. 250gb
    sdb1-221gb---NTFS, not gonna be touched.
    sbd2-20ishgb-linux, ext3-where i install linux to, mount point "/"
    sdb3-900mb- linux swap

I <u>don't</u> want to interfere with sda(windows) at all. No bootloader on it, no changes at all.

Therefore, i have a couple of options. Put the bootloader on sdb (more about this later) or somehow put the bootloader on a floppy disk drive. (preferred)

I have tried several times (about 7) to put the bootloader on the mbr of sdb. However my computer won't load when i do this. No grub error, computer stuffs up when BIOS is still in control. (POST i think).

I've fixed this numerous times, and i'ts quite routine to me.

I have a floppy disk drive. I put grub on it using <i>dd</i> . it has grub on it, but however, when i go

<i>root (hd1,1)</i>
    it doesn't work. it cannot find the drive.

Does anybody have any ideas?

ps. This is really, really, really, really annoying. It's stopping me using linux.

Hi and Welcome !

Why don't you plug-in Linux disk as Primary Master ( sda )? Its really easy to add an entry of Windows OS in GRUB after Linux installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Other people use the computer ATM, so i dont' want to put linux on internal IDE hdd. They get annoyed.

And how would i get current sdb to be sda? it's external.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak_o_Shadows View Post
    sbd2-20ishgb-linux, ext3-where i install linux to, mount point "/"
    sdb3-900mb- linux swap
    What r these partitions I have only heard of sda and hda. Y dont u install Linux on a removable HD.

Linux User
    No grub error, computer stuffs up when BIOS is still in control
    Looks like your comp is not able to boot from a USB device or BIOS is not set up correctly. With my BIOS must enable 'usb dos support' or it will not work.

<i>root (hd1,1)</i>
    it doesn't work. it cannot find the drive.
    same as above I would think.

Just Joined!
    Well, sorry it's been so long. I ended up putting /boot on the internal and that works perfectly. Thanks for all your help.