Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I m trying to install linux on my system which already has windows installed . I have a D: drive on pc around 60gb , I freed some space ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

can linux be installed totally on a logical partition

Hello
    I m trying to install linux on my system which already has windows installed . I have a D: drive on pc around 60gb , I freed some space approximately 25gb to install linux on it . But as u guessed it this Dsda2) has become an extended partition and that 25gb is sda5 (HPFS/NTFS) . Now is it possible to install linux on it i.e sda5.

Unlike Windows OS, Linux doesn't care about Partition Type. You can install Linux in Logical Partition without any problem.
    I have Windows OS in Primary and 6 Linux OSes in Logical Partitions of my test machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Can logical partition be further be divided

The problem is that the logical partition is around 25bg its the only space on my computer that is free. Now I manually want to create further partition for boot,homw etc... how can i accomplish that. Cause i tried doing fdisk /dev/sda5 but it doesn't allow me to create further partition.

I would suggest you to use GParted or PartedMagic LiveCDs for partitioning. Both are best partition managers. GParted is available in LiveCDs of most of distros.

You can create 11 Logical Partitions inside Extended and if you are using latest version of any distro having 2.28.x kernel, you can create 60+ Logical Partitions.

i prefer doing it manually through the console. But i would surely try this one out, but can logical partition be further parted????? coz that the only space left

You can resize any partition. Primary, Logical or Extended.

I don't know if fdisk support resizing. AFAIK, you have to delete and create new partition. I am not sure though.
    GParted and ParteMagic uses Parted at back-end. Install parted in your machine and try to resize partitions through command line.