Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install Linux onto an external hard drive for a variety of reasons (lots of data, multiple computers, easier recovery etc.) and I was wondering three things: What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux onto an External Hard Drive

I want to install Linux onto an external hard drive for a variety of reasons (lots of data, multiple computers, easier recovery etc.) and I was wondering three things:
    1. What version of Linux should I use?
    2. What Hard Drive should I buy (No Budget, preferably 250gb - 1tb)
    3. How would I go about installing it?

Thanks

many distros can be installed on USB harddrive.
    like Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mint, CrunchBang...just so many.
    O_o..there is so much to tell, please atleast search forums once before you post. X_X
    but still...
    Visit this site ---> Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

You can install linux on 1GB pendrive too. so If you want big harddrive, get bigger one. but dont make whole disk a linux partition. (most USB install guides tell that ..but not for HDD more than 80GB)
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Hi and Welcome !

You can install any Linux distro in External disk and 10-15GB is more than enough for any distro.

Installation process in External disk is similar to Internal Disk installation. Make sure to disable internal disk in BIOS during Linux installation else Installer will install Boot Loader of Linux in MBR of Internal disk and you won't be able to boot up Linux in any other machine.

Just pick any distro and install it. You can install any package in any distro.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close