Find the answer to your Linux question:
One partition (Fedora 9) is 7GB. One partition (Windows XP) is 40GB. My question is this; how do I install Ubuntu over Fedora 9 without losing the ability to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    OMG
    Just Joined!

Dual boot: Installing Ubuntu over Fedora while maintaining Windows.

One partition (Fedora 9) is 7GB.
    One partition (Windows XP) is 40GB.

My question is this; how do I install Ubuntu over Fedora 9 without losing the ability to boot either XP or Linux? I know it's simply a case of scrubbing over Fedora, but I need to know how to set up the bootloader so that Windows XP is detected aswell.

I have been told that this is not done automatically, hence my question here.

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

When you go to install Ubuntu, direct the installer to use the partitions that Fedora is currently on. The installer should format the Fedora partitions before installing Ubuntu and it should give you the option to dual-boot between Ubuntu and Windows. Just don't allow the installer to remove or format the Windows partitions.
    oz

OMG
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

When you go to install Ubuntu, direct the installer to use the partitions that Fedora is currently on. The installer should format the Fedora partitions before installing Ubuntu and it should give you the option to dual-boot between Ubuntu and Windows. Just don't allow the installer to remove or format the Windows partitions.
    Great forums!
    Thank you very much for your help! You've saved me a headache or two.
    It's great to have the reassurance, I just didn't want to go ahead without asking first.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hope you have fun with it... let us know how it goes!
    oz

OMG
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The installer should format the Fedora partitions before installing Ubuntu and it should give you the option to dual-boot between Ubuntu and Windows.
    Now lets say things didn't go as planned, and I lose the ability to boot one or both of the OS's, what are the logical steps to correcting the problem? I need to be 100% sure because I need my computer to always be working.

And yeah, I'll pop back here and tell you all how it goes .

oz
    forum.guy
    If things don't go exactly as planned, you can always restore your system from your backup files, but even that could fail if your backup has become corrupted, so I wouldn't ever count on anything being 100% foolproof.
    oz

Linux Guru
    You could download the SuperGrubDisk before you do the new install and use that if you have problems. It's pretty good at booting systems.

Ubuntu should detect your windows partition and put an entry in the menu.lst file for you. When installing Ubuntu bootloader, you are given an option of where to install but you usually need to click on an Advanced tab. Install to mbr if you want to use Grub.

You could run the 'fdisk -l' command before doing the install to get your partition info in advance so you don't overwrite windows.

OMG
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You could download the SuperGrubDisk before you do the new install and use that if you have problems. It's pretty good at booting systems.

Ubuntu should detect your windows partition and put an entry in the menu.lst file for you. When installing Ubuntu bootloader, you are given an option of where to install but you usually need to click on an Advanced tab. Install to mbr if you want to use Grub.

You could run the 'fdisk -l' command before doing the install to get your partition info in advance so you don't overwrite windows.
    I've downloaded that as a precaution. However I just tried to install and I'm wondering if I should delete the Linux swap space as well as the main Fedora partition. I'm not actually sure what the Linux swap space is :S. Thanks.

PS. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a real noob :P.

Linux Guru
    Delete the swap. It is space that can be used as (RAM), sort of? Google it for a detailed explanation but there will be no problem deleting. When you do your new install, you will be prompted to create it anyway.

You could just install Ubuntu over Fedora if you're careful to get the right partition but you can delete that partition, create a new one for Ubuntu and format. You will be asked if you want to do this during install.

OMG
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Delete the swap. It is space that can be used as (RAM), sort of? Google it for a detailed explanation but there will be no problem deleting. When you do your new install, you will be prompted to create it anyway.

You could just install Ubuntu over Fedora if you're careful to get the right partition but you can delete that partition, create a new one for Ubuntu and format. You will be asked if you want to do this during install.
    OK thanks for the info. I'm away to do it now. I have the exact sizes of the partitions written down so I know which ones to delete.

Thanks again! You guys are great.