Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What is the difference between smbmount and mount ?
    I have always used the mount command to mount windows file shares.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I do that too, but it's easier to refer to it as smbmount on these forums.
    Actually, I think that mount -t smbfs execs smbmount (it could also be the opposite), but I'm not completely sure.

Just Joined!
    I currently dual boot Win2KPro (due to my work) and SuSE 8.2 Pro, have a Linksys Wireless Router that handles my DHCP, a SuSE 8.2 Pro Server that handles fileserv/web serv/DNS/NFS/NIS, and a Win2K Server that acts as my ProxyServer/Firewall, a laptop that is really a test machine that runs either SuSE 8.2 Pro or RedHat 8 or 9, and a fiancee that has an XP machine, but we'll not talk about that I use SAMBA to make my Server act as a PDC for my Windows box, except the XP machine (unless you hack the registry) I use my ProxyServ/Firewall to handle Internet. I use the SuSE Server also to handle NIS and NFS for my Linux clients, and Apache for an internal web server (just for testing)

A tool that I have found very useful for using SAMBA or Windows Shares is called LinNeighborhood. It allows you to configure your SAMBA user name and password, as well as do a Right-Click "Mount" command. It is very useful. If you cant find it let me know, and I will send it to you....

sorry, once again a long post...sorry admins..

evan hazlett

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    don't apologize for long posts, they are usually more informative.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.