Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have recently installed Linux in my office machine. this system is part of our windows LAN and all our other machines have win 2k or win 98. servers also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and windows interconnectivity

I have recently installed Linux in my office machine. this system is part of our windows LAN and all our other machines have win 2k or win 98. servers also run on windows 2000 server. So mine is the only machine runs on linux. I am new to linux. So i want to know the procedure to place my system in windows network. I need to access all computers present in our domain and at the same time other users must also be able to access my system thru network neighbourhood. Please send me the procedure to be done to achieve the above mentioned goal.

Linux Engineer
    Make sure you didnt install any DNS or dhcp-server that can cause problem in you microsoft network environment. Then use SAMBA to make the other NT-boxes access you linux box and reverse. If you look at my page http://www.utterberg.com under howtos you have a samba howto you can look at. Otherwise look at sambas homepage for more information on the software.

You can check if you have the valid packages installed with the command

Code:
    rpm -qa | grep samba
    There should exists atleast 3 packages.

http://www.samba.org

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    andutt,

I have one windows 2000 machine and linux/windows 2000 (dual boot) machine all networked by a linksys router. Can I still use Samba to interconnect these pcs? I know I don't have a DNS server and the router does not host DHCP (I like static ip addressing).
    After reading your howto, I have a question.
    Code:
    If you are instllaing linux from scratch then include windowsfileserver in the installprocedure to include this packages default.
    What is this windowsfileserver you mention here?
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    How do you mean that linksys router would be a problem? Doesn't it work like a hub between your internal computers?

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

I don't know if it'll be aproblem. Since my knowledge in computer networking is poor, I wanted to ask if that could possibly cause any problems. Would you possbly a good, thorough tutorial regarding TCP/IP networking?

Linux Guru
    I don't know what this common expression TCP/IP networking comes from, but the one thing that is clear is that everyone seems to be using it, while it should really be called IP networking. TCP is just one of many protocols (such as ICMP and UDP) that can run on top of IP. It might be the most common, but I don't see what difference that should make; it's not like ICMP and UDP aren't used or anything.
    Anyhow, maybe I can tempt you with the Networking HOWTO or the Net HOWTO?

Linux Engineer
    OK, then its a walk in the park, you router is working like a dhcp right and give out ipadresses on you internal LAN. Then you just have to install SAMBA if you dont already have thoose packages installed already. What distribution are you running?? If you are using Mandrake or Redhat you should be able to look in the rpm-database like this

Code:
    rpm -qa | grep samba
    You need this packages

samba-client-xxx-xx
    samba-xxx-xxx
    samba-common-xxx-xxx

What i mean with windows fileserver is that when you install linux you have a chooise (Redhat) that are "Windows fileserver", where all sambapackaes are included. Butt no worry, you just have to install them manully if you want them installed.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    The router is NOT a DHCP server. I'm running debian linux.
    My question is, once I get samba set up for these two machines (windows2000 and linux), how can I access data on the windows machine when I'm in linux? Normally, under windows2000 to window2000, I usually have to login as a user. Does samba provide this capabilty? Furthermore, how would this work the other way around if I try to access data on the linux machine from windows 2000?

Linux Newbie
    Use the samba client tool smbclient to access window shares. Check the man page on its use.

Samba does provide authentication, either from a local account or via a windows server (very usefull).

You might want to read this, it will answer any questions you might have.

Linux Guru
    Also, remember that there is smbmount under Linux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast