Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Me too... I burn them at about 4 to 6x, just to be safe. If I start to have problems on install, I want to be able to eliminate faulty ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Me too... I burn them at about 4 to 6x, just to be safe. If I start to have problems on install, I want to be able to eliminate faulty CD right off the bat.

Linux User
    You people have gone as far as 6x? Dapper Dan calls it slowest possible? Mine slowest possible is 1x And if Bemk can get a shining disk at 4.5x, then I can to, at 4x. Yippee!!

Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    You people have gone as far as 6x? Dapper Dan calls it slowest possible?
    Slowest possible with my set up, as if I really needed to clarify that...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yep... mine goes to either 6x or 8x... can't quite remember. The previous burner I had went to 4x.
    I refuse to even try high speeds. I have enough issues without trying to get into the coaster manufacturing biz!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux User
    Then 4x (fastest) is just right for me too?

4x should be just fine for ya!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Frankly I fail to see what burning at the slowest speed achieves, apart from a very slow burn. If you need to use the lowest possible speed to get a decent burn then perhaps it's time for a new drive. I grant that you will sometimes get errors at higher speeds but you should find a speed that works and stick with it. I have a 18x dvd burner but the burn often fails if I use 18x, so I use 16x which works perfectly.
    If you're concerned about data integrity then you should compare the checksum of the cd to the checksum of the iso, you can't do much better than a byte for byte comparison. This won't work for audio cds - for obvious reasons - but will work just fine for iso9660 based cds.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've burned somewhere between 500 and 600 different ISO files to disk as images in the past and out of all those have only ever had perhaps 10 to 12 coasters, at most. My burning speeds have ranged from 4x to 48x, with most of the burns taking place at about 12x to 24x.

If the slowest burn speed possible is always correct and it's the speed that should always be used by everyone, I see little point in drive manufacturers creating burners capable of more than a 1x burn speed.

That said, I have to agree with Krendoshazin in thinking that many of you that can't get good burns with anything but the slowest speed your drive is capable of might need to consider getting new drives, or perhaps you need to invest in some higher quality media. Of course, if you are very careless with your media, it could be that dirt and grime and/or scratches are causing the bad burns.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Most of the time I get good burns at really ludicrous speed but on the occasion when it does go wrong I find that reburning at 6-8 speed will fix the problem.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    That said, I have to agree with Krendoshazin in thinking that many of you that can't get good burns with anything but the slowest speed your drive is capable of might need to consider getting new drives, or perhaps you need to invest in some higher quality media.
    Hi ozar. Personally, I don't see the need to buy a new drive just to burn faster. It's only a few more minutes to wait...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast