Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
There are to ways: Download from Bootdisk.Com I mentioned already that a lot of sites provide Bootable Floppy images. or you have in XP a formating tool (it is MS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

There are to ways: Download from Bootdisk.Com
    I mentioned already that a lot of sites provide Bootable Floppy images.

or you have in XP a formating tool (it is MS standard) there you have to klick the field for make bootfloppy. ( it will be a millenium bootfloppy)
    I prefer the first one.
    Could you tell me exactly what is that standard tool and exact steps to create Bootable Floppy of XP? I have a lot of XP Machines and I couldn't find it.
    Please read before you commend: I allways said Grub should therefore be installed to the superbootblock of the Linuxpartition that is exactly what you say installed in boot sector of Linux root partition.
    It works and this is that great that on the german ubuntu site they write this method is for traditionalists and security-fanatics.
    In other words, you are suggesting new users to install GRUB in bootsector, create its image, save it in root of Windows OS partition and edit Windows Boot Loader to add Linux option. Don't you think it a bit complicated?

I also think Grub is great but as windows isn't that great it's better not to depend on grub. Open windows with windows tools and Linux with linux tools and you are on the save side (even when there come up windows problems you can repair in windows and don't have the problem you would have to do something on the linuxpartition (menue.lst) and you can't because of the other filesystem which windows is to stupid to read)
    I disagree. In Single Harddisk dual/multiple boot setup, you have to use either Windows or Linux boot loader. Its not possible to use both.

If you are using Windows Boot Loader and anything goes wrong with it, you have to re-install Linux Boot Loader to load Linux. There isn't any shortcut. Same will happen if you use Linux Boot Loader.

In multiple Hard disk multiboot setup, one can install Windows Boot Loader in Windows Harddisk and Linux Boot Loader in Linux Harddisk. Just use mapping code in Linux to chainload Windows Boot Loader. In this method, both OSes will be independent of each other and you are just calling Windows Boot Loader installed in other Hard disk. Even in this case, there is no need to use Windows Boot Loader and an image of GRUB.

I don't see any benefits of using Windows Boot Loader and an image of GRUB to boot Linux.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    I mentioned already that a lot of sites provide Bootable Floppy images.

Could you tell me exactly what is that standard tool and exact steps to create Bootable Floppy of XP? I have a lot of XP Machines and I couldn't find it.
    Please read first - then commend!
    You go to explorer klick with the right Mouse to A:/
    You say formating.
    Than there is a field where it ask you to create a boot floppy.
    It will be a windows ME (bootfloppy no XP one (windows ME was MS last DOS edition))

In other words, you are suggesting new users to install GRUB in bootsector, create its image, save it in root of Windows OS partition and edit Windows Boot Loader to add Linux option. Don't you think it a bit complicated?
    It sounds complicated but it isn't really I did it soon starting with linux.

I disagree. In Single Harddisk dual/multiple boot setup, you have to use either Windows or Linux boot loader. Its not possible to use both.
    You speak very absolute: It isn't possible tu use both. Clear The way I reccomanded is the way to use both.
    nt-bootloader at the windowspartition grub bootloader at the linuxpartition. You can switch from nt-bootloader to grub and vice versa.

If you are using Windows Boot Loader and anything goes wrong with it, you have to re-install Linux Boot Loader to load Linux. There isn't any shortcut. Same will happen if you use Linux Boot Loader.
    That is absolutely wrong
    If you primary use NT-Bootloader and something goes wrong with it you have to reinstall NT-bootloader if something goes wrong with Grub you can still enter Windows but you will have to repair grub to enter Linux.

In multiple Hard disk multiboot setup, one can install Windows Boot Loader in Windows Harddisk and Linux Boot Loader in Linux Harddisk. Just use mapping code in Linux to chainload Windows Boot Loader. In this method, both OSes will be independent of each other and you are just calling Windows Boot Loader installed in other Hard disk. Even in this case, there is no need to use Windows Boot Loader and an image of GRUB.

I don't see any benefits of using Windows Boot Loader and an image of GRUB to boot Linux.
    I never spoke about an image of grub. If you are confused and don't know exactly how grub works it is not good that you command and this way confuses other forum members.

And there is a reason why I recommended this way: linuxpuneet had a problem and he obviously had let grub install automatically.
    If he is more aware now and puts the bootloaders on their places he will not have this problem again.

boot with external+chroot to internal+grub-install...

We are commenting on each other but no news from Puneet. Hi puneet, just in case, if your problem is solved please mark the thread as closed.

Now coming to OP's problem,
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxpuneet View Post
    hello,
    i had installed fedora and windows on my internal Harddisk earlier,then tried to install fedora on external USB hard disk,now my computer failed to boot from internal hard disk,when i unplugged the harddisk,can any one suggest remedy

thanks
    puneet vyas
    Puneet, you mean to say that you can work with your system if you plug your external harddrive? May be thats how you took the grub.conf.

In that case, connect your external harddisk, after you boot:
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/fedora
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdaX /tmp/fedora
    chroot /tmp/fedora
    grub-install /dev/sda
    replace X in /dev/sdaX with the drive number of internal harddisk's fedora partition. Also hope that your filesystem is ext3. Reboot with external harddisk disconnected and check.

Casper, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It will be a windows ME (bootfloppy no XP one (windows ME was MS last DOS edition))
    I will try it today only.
    Clear The way I reccomanded is the way to use both.
    nt-bootloader at the windowspartition grub bootloader at the linuxpartition. You can switch from nt-bootloader to grub and vice versa.
    Its not possible to install two boot loaders in MBR. You have to use one as Primary and call another through it only.
    You can switch from nt-bootloader to grub and vice versa.
    How do you do that? What code do you use to switch Boot Loaders? Is it a Third Party loader? Is nt-bootloader calling Windows Boot Loader and Linux Boot Loader?

If you primary use NT-Bootloader and something goes wrong with it you have to reinstall NT-bootloader if something goes wrong with Grub you can still enter Windows but you will have to repair grub to enter Linux.
    I think you are not getting my point. What you are saying about Windows Boot Loader is true for Linux Boot Loader too. If you are using Linux Boot Loader and something goes wrong with Windows OS, you can still boot up Linux. Secondary OS problem has nothing to do with Boot Loader of Primary OS.
    I never spoke about an image of grub. If you are confused and don't know exactly how grub works it is not good that you command and this way confuses other forum members.
    dd if=/dev/hdaX of=/tmp/bootsec.lin bs=512 count=1
    Doesn't above code create an image of Boot Loader?
    Btw, I have worked with GRUB developers for a few months and know a few things about it. I had to quit it because of my job.
    linuxpuneet had a problem and he obviously had let grub install automatically.
    If he is more aware now and puts the bootloaders on their places he will not have this problem again.
    For new users, I won't recommend your suggestion but if someone want to use Windows Boot Loader is then this is the right way. I did a bit research in this method a long time ago. Please read all other posts in that thread too.
    Last edited by devils casper; 05-26-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: link

Linux Newbie
    Its not possible to install two boot loaders in MBR.
    This frase shows that you didn't read my posts. I allways said: grub into the superbootblock of the linux partition.

Please read complete post instead of quoting single line and you will understand why I wrote that.

I am repeating again :
    Clear The way I reccomanded is the way to use both.
    You can switch from nt-bootloader to grub and vice versa.
    Its not possible to install two boot loaders in MBR. You have to use one as Primary and call another through it only.
    How do you switch Boot Loaders? What code do you use to switch Boot Loaders? Is it a Third Party loader? Is nt-bootloader calling Windows Boot Loader and Linux Boot Loader?

Please read my complete post and understand that in what context I have posted those lines.

Just Joined!

@

thanks to all, i will try with devis post and let you know if i will get any hurdle,if i don't post that should not meant that i am idle ,i was trying with the options that was posted.

Just Joined!
    @saivin,

i had windows and linux installed on my internal hard disk, then i installed fedora on USB harddisk,when i rebooted from USB my fedora of internal hard disk was not in list,now i wanted to unplug my USB harddisk, and restore booting of os from internal hard disk which was not bein done.

Unplug External Disk, boot up in Rescue/Repair mode using Fedora Installation CD/DVD and execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    exit
    Machine will reboot and GRUB will be back in Bussiness.

Quote Originally Posted by saivin
    Casper, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are right saivin. There are a lot of ways to re-install GRUB and your method is correct too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2