Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I heard Virtualbox doesn't support Widnows 98, but it is on the list. When I try to open the DEB it says it conflicts with with the existing OSE package. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I heard Virtualbox doesn't support Widnows 98, but it is on the list.

When I try to open the DEB it says it conflicts with with the existing OSE package. Should I remove OSE and install this one? Will my existing VMs still work?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know for sure the old VM's will work, but I believe so. In any case, removing the OSE should not do anything to your VM's and configuration settings, as neither will installation of the non-OSE version. So, at worst, you can reinstall the OSE version and continue to use your old VM's, but I doubt you'll need to do that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I did not really get Windows 98 to run properly in VirtualBox ... although Windows 2k, XP and Vista worked. This was despite using the binary version ... rather than the OSE version of VirtualBox. An uninstall and reinstall of VirtualBox may not help much ... I also found that Win 2k would only work on a FAT32 partition for me in VirtualBox. Not a major problem for me since I tend to use Linux these days ...

@Jonathan
    So when 98 didn't work for you what were you running? OSE or not?

I have Win 2K working on an NTFS partition...

Quote Originally Posted by mpg198 View Post
    @Jonathan
    So when 98 didn't work for you what were you running? OSE or not?

I have Win 2K working on an NTFS partition...
    I was running the binary version (not OSE). From memory I think Win 2k install failed when I tried to use an NTFS virtual disk partition.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I was running the binary version (not OSE). From memory I think Win 2k install failed when I tried to use an NTFS virtual disk partition.
    Yes, but which version of VBox were you running? The more recent versions have fixed a lot (not all, of course) problems with various (old) clients.

I should have Win98 on one of my old MSDN discs. I'll try installing that with the latest binary VBox later today when I get back from my grocery shopping. I'll let you know what I find then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yes, but which version of VBox were you running? The more recent versions have fixed a lot (not all, of course) problems with various (old) clients.
    Good question ... using Arch within the last 12 months ... I have not tried installing for a while because I got everything I needed to work in either Win 2k or using dosbox. At the time when I looked at documentation Win 2k was supported but Win 98 support was questionable. I doubt Win98 support has improved a great deal since ... since MS removed support for Win 98.

Good question ... using Arch within the last 12 months ... I have not tried installing for a while because I got everything I needed to work in either Win 2k or using dosbox. At the time when I looked at documentation Win 2k was supported but Win 98 support was questionable. I doubt Win98 support has improved a great deal since ... since MS removed support for Win 98.
    Well, I'm running CentOS 5.3 x86_64. Just got back from the shopping tour - I'm going to try Win98 a little later. First I have to find the .iso image in my MSDN dvd's up on the disc shelves.

I got everything I needed to work in either Win 2k or using dosbox.
    There are some programs I try to use that I can't get working in 2000. The DVD decrypter installer says it's corrupt, even if I use the switch to skip the check on the installer package.

WiiBrickBlocker - The official site
    I cannot get that program to run in Windows 2000.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast