Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I find this site: Compu-Type Computer Services-Metro-East located in Bellville, Illinois. They sell PCs under their own brand name, which is probably what you have. The Celeron processor is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

I find this site: Compu-Type Computer Services-Metro-East located in Bellville, Illinois. They sell PCs under their own brand name, which is probably what you have. The Celeron processor is a low-end Intel CPU, but with the speed yours has, and the amount of memory showing in your BIOS scan, you should be able to run most Linux distributions. Why most of your CDs are "coasters" I cannot say, though it is possible that you downloaded versions that are not compatible with your system. Anyway, you might want to visit their web site. They have a services and tech support page. If you can, get a bios update and CD burner firmware update from them. That will often fix CD burning problems in my experience.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hmm.. that is very near to where I live, so I would assume that's the correct company, and mine is pretty old, so no CD burner... could you tell me which opensuse or fedora CD I *should* be looking for?

Also, I've noticed that I can click buttons and use the installer to a degree, i.e., I can go through ght first few pages of the installation (time zone selection, keyboard selection, etc.) but only by memory, as 95% of the screen is random blocks of differnt colors. The CD then crashes at the partition editor/selection thing.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My guess is that the CD has a read error, hence the crash. Does your system have a USB 2.0 capability?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, and the BIOS 'claims' to support USB boot, but despite enabling that and reconfiguring the boot order, it will not load any of my liveUSB drives.

How did you create your liveUSB drives?

Just Joined!
    Ones for fedora I made with fedora liveUSB creator application, other distros I made with UNetBootIn.

EDIT: they too work flawlessly in other computers

I have seen some USB thumb drives (usually older ones) that won't boot either. I experimented with Unetbootin quite a bit, using it to create liveUSB drives to give a presentation to the IEEE consultant's network in Chicago on using Linux liveUSB drives to recover data and create forensic copies of hard drives. That's when I found that some thumb drives would not boot. I didn't have much trouble with newer ones, or micro-sd flash cards in a USB carrier. You might want to try another thumb drive.

Just Joined!
    That is correct, some usb thumb drives cannot be made bootable. I have one that does this, but the one I tested this of with can definitely be made bootable; i've used it many times before.

I have a strange feeling that the issue is somehow connnected to the monitor. When I attempt to change the screen resolution in my current ubuntu installation, I can never get a proper resolution (like on the log in screen) And with every change the screen flips sporadically and I must reboot.

I still suggest disable splash and try other boot options ... does ctrl+alt+f1 give a terminal?

Just Joined!
    I've tried that, to no effect. And when do you want me to try that key combo?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast