Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hello all, I recently burned a number of linux livecds, (Fedora 10 beta, fedora 10 release, fedora 10 i386 <instead of i686>, openSUSE, Puppy Linux, GPartEd, and Ubuntu) and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Garbled LiveCDs

Hello all, I recently burned a number of linux livecds, (Fedora 10 beta, fedora 10 release, fedora 10 i386 <instead of i686>, openSUSE, Puppy Linux, GPartEd, and Ubuntu) and the only one of them what will actually load is Ubuntu. Whenever i try to install one of the others, the cd will boot and either freeze at the splash screen (i think thats the term, in the first two fedoras anyway, after the startup script is done) or the screen after loading the kernal is incredibly garbled and unusable (opensuse and fedora 10 i386). All the cds work in other computers, and passed media check. The only cd's that work are puppy linux, ubuntu, and GPartEd. The problem is I really want fedora, or would settle for opensuse. Please help a linux newbie. thank you

You may find the problem is caused by the splash screen ... try removing quiet and splash from the kernel boot options ... example here ... also try other boot options like nopcmcia

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you trying to install x86_64 or AMD64 (64-bit) liveCD's? If so, then your target system might not support that. What is your target system, CPU, RAM, etc?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Nope, 32 bit CDs, 1.8 gh celeron and a gig of ram. Boot options crashed it sooner

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, but what about the CD's that you burned? Are you sure you only burned the 32-bit versions?

Just Joined!
    Yes sir, totally confident...

Linux Newbie
    Please describe what kind of computer you have.

I really can't imagine that all those wouldn't work.

Just Joined!
    Well, what would you like to know? I can't find any brand or model anywhere on the CPU, and i'm newish to linux, so could you tell me how to find hardware specs in ubuntu? Thank you much!

It must be the famous Brand X!

Anyway, you should be able to find most of the required information in the BIOS setup screen. When you boot, press the required function key (usually F2, but sometimes the Esc key) to boot into the BIOS. Somewhere there you can find out what CPU chip is being used, how much memory there is, and information like that.

Just Joined!
    The only label on the tower is Computype Computer Services, which sounds like a distributor, so i'm pretty unsure about the make and model. Also, here's what I could find in the bios:

Intel celeron 1.80 ghz
    System bus speed 400 MHz
    System memory speed 266 MHz
    Cache ram 128 kb
    Total memory 1023 mb
    Memory bank 0 512 mb (ddr266)
    Memory bank 1 512 mb (ddr266)

EDIT: monitor is a samsung 955df

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast