Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i tried to install windows with a bootleg windows cd and everything seemed to work until i tried to run it and i realized it didnt completely install which i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how will an unsucessful widows install effect the installation of linux

i tried to install windows with a bootleg windows cd and everything seemed to work until i tried to run it and i realized it didnt completely install which i found out was because the damn cd was scratched, after trying to reinstall about 5 times. Anyway all i really wanted to know is how to get it working without buying windblows but i suspect it wont be easy to install linux with with a incomplete windows installation. any ideas?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, but we can't help users install illegal copies of Windows, but that shouldn't matter since you don't need Windows at all to install Linux, anyway.

Just boot with the Linux installation disk of your choice and install it to your hard drive, or you can run it as a liveCD if it has that option.
    oz

Like Ozar says. Burn and Learn.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Above Link has all the Live Cd's you could wish for. Operating systems for the price of a blank CD, and ya don't need a snafued Windows install to keep you from running Linux. Happy Trails.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

misunderstandings

ok simpler question. can i put linux on a computer with no working operating system

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cicntrybyty View Post
    ok simpler question. can i put linux on a computer with no working operating system
    Yes, you can. Just boot the Linux installation CD and install the OS directly to the hard drive. It installs similar to the way Windows operating systems do when there isn't already a working operating system on the computer.
    oz

Just Joined!

the windows are closed

ok so i tried to ask this question already but i guess i didnt word it right so this time i'll be more clear. i tried to install windows xp but the cd is corrupt and or just incomplete and now xp is installed but not working correctly. i just wanted to know how this would effect a linux installation because i tried ubuntu and "it just didnt work". the cd is fine, i ran the test, and it seems to be working, it even starts to load the install screen but it never finishes. it just stays blank.:shock is this a problem with ubuntu or my hardrive or is windows the problem. please help me, i've had this computer sitting in my room since i got it i just want it to work

oz
    forum.guy
    A faulty Windows installation shouldn't have any impact on a properly installed Ubuntu system because they run independently of one another.

If Ubuntu isn't installing correctly and you are certain the installation disk isn't corrupted, it's probably some piece of hardware that's causing the installation failure. You might be able to get past the hangup by using some of the boot options available to you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The failed Windows install won't affect a Linux installation process. However, you might need to change some BIOS settings and/or update the BIOS, especially for an older system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Ubuntu might hang form a live cd if it doesn't meet the minimum requirements specified . I had on old computer with a ram of 256MB normal splash screen was diplayed but after that it hanged , May be u are facing the sam problem. BTW what is you system specifications

Also as other already pointed out that Linux can be installed on a system which has no operating system installed unless you were thinking of a dual boot
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

Just Joined!
    damn i shoud've thought of that, vista wouldn't install for the same reason. i got a sony vaio pcv-rs 310 2.4-GHz Pentium 4-CPU, 256MB of DDR-266 SDRAM could you recommend a distribution or should i just upgraded the RAM and then use Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast