Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to install GRUB onto a USB key/stick for use on any system that support USB boot. (Even on those legacy systems which do not support USB boot from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to Install GRUB to USB without USB BIOS Motherboard Support

I'd like to install GRUB onto a USB key/stick for use on any system that support USB boot. (Even on those legacy systems which do not support USB boot from the BIOS, Smart Boot Manager can usually accomplish this task).

Now to the problem. I currently only have access to a Linux system (Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy). This notebook does not have the "Boot to USB" feature in the BIOS.

So, when I attempt to install grub to /dev/sdx (USB device), I receive the following error:
    /dev/sdx does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
    The Big Question: How can I install grub to the MBR of a USB key, on a system that doesn't have USB BIOS support? Is it even possible?

this might be a little stupid doubt but can you open USB after you are inside the OS( As I dont understand what exactly is a USB BIOS support) . However if you can open the USB in the OS you can easily install the grub on the USB and use it on other systems that support USB Boot
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640