Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Are there any additional unneeded services running?

You could try turning some of those off to free up some resources.

Also, use "top" at the command line to see what is eating up your resources.

Jason

I WAS WRONG

I spoke too soon. Now that I have let RH9 fry a little while on my laptop (about 4 days) I have noticed some serious bogs. I even went so far as to turn off every service that was not MANDATORY for operation and let it set for a couple hours and it slows down again. There is something wrong. I knew I should have went with BSD. (downloading ISOs now)

Oh yeah!

I forgot to mention that with all the unnecessary services off and the most bare theme possible I ran "top" and it was still using 312MB of the 512MB available :o . WTF.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ntlab
    I ran "top" and it was still using 312MB of the 512MB available
    Huh? I thought you seemed good enough to know why that would be. Check this old post to find out why that is.

When it slows down, have you checked anything as to why that would be? Like checking top for runaway processes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ntlab
    I ran "top" and it was still using 312MB of the 512MB available
    Huh? I thought you seemed good enough to know why that would be. Check this old post to find out why that is.

When it slows down, have you checked anything as to why that would be? Like checking top for runaway processes?
    But in comparison of the last three version of RedHat that I have installed on on my laptop it seems to go up increasingly with each version.

Linux Guru
    Not the memory usage, I wouldn't think. Of course the actual memory usage does increase, at least if you're using GNOME or KDE, since they devour all memory you could possibly have. Not really so, but almost.
    However, the "used" memory as indicated by free (or /proc/meminfo) should always be just a little less than you're total memory as soon as you've used you system for long enough. That goes for all distros, since it's in the kernel's core MM code.