Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody have any experience of getting a distro to work on the Via chipset? I've tried Ubuntu, Mepis, Mandriva, and Fedora......and they all fail. Memory isn't an issue as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Laptop with Via C3 1.2ghz Chipset!

Does anybody have any experience of getting a distro to work on the Via chipset?

I've tried Ubuntu, Mepis, Mandriva, and Fedora......and they all fail.

Memory isn't an issue as it has 512mb, it seems to be that these distros are just not compatible with this chipset.

So any recommendations you can give (I need a permanent installation, not one run from USB),,,,,would be handy!

Many thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The Via processor is an x86 compatible CPU, but there may be some support chips that are not supported, or there are bios issues. First, see if there is an updated bios for this system. Next, if you still cannot install the common distributions such as Ubuntu i386 distributions, then try Gentoo. With that system, you basically just bootstrap the OS, and then run a build tool that will let you specify the hardware in use for just about everything, resulting in a system that is compiled for your specific system requirements. From the Gentoo x86 installation guide:
    Most PC users should use the stage3-i686-2008.0.tar.bz2 stage3 archive. All modern PCs are considered i686. If you use an old machine, you can check the list of i686-compatible processors on Wikipedia. Old processors such as the Pentium, K5, K6, or Via C3 and similar require the more generic x86 stage3. Processors older than i486 are not supported.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Cheers mate!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have gotten DSL linux to run. sorry not more help.

Linux Guru