Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Arch 2009.02 on a Delld630 Dualcore 2 duo 2.0 Ghz with 2 gigs ram and 120gb HD. I am running Xubuntu 9.04 64-bit and am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pacman preparation failed.

I am trying to install Arch 2009.02 on a Delld630 Dualcore 2 duo 2.0 Ghz with 2 gigs ram and 120gb HD.

I am running Xubuntu 9.04 64-bit and am trying to install Arch inside of Sun VirtualBox.

I set aside 850mb of RAM and an expandable 8 gb hard disk space for the viurtual system.

Everything goes smoothly up until I am supposed to select packages where I get this error:
    Code:
    Pacman preparation failed check /dev/tty7 for errors
    I picked FTP instead of CD-ROM. I figured maybe I picked a bad mirror so I chose another but I still got the same error. I don't know what is wrong. I can't choose to select the CD as a source because I downloaded the FTP one. My connection is good and Arch recognized it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As per the error message, you can switch to tty7 (not sure for Ubuntu, but something like this works) by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7. You should see more error information there in the text window.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

CTRL+ALT+F7 will switch you to the correct tty in Arch. Generally, that error means you're mirrors are set up wrong, or there is something wrong with your internet connection.

I saw one mention of this error on the arch forums where it appears to have been a bad burn on the install cd.

Did you just download the netinstall CD, or do you have the full core CD? If the latter, you might try installing from the CD first and see if that works.

It can't be a bad burn because didnt burn the iso I am running it inside a virtual box. I dont know what the problem was, maybe it was a bad iso I dont know. I downloaded the core version and it ran fine. I guess I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk_Mexican View Post
    It can't be a bad burn because didnt burn the iso I am running it inside a virtual box. I dont know what the problem was, maybe it was a bad iso I dont know. I downloaded the core version and it ran fine. I guess I'll never know.
    did the download server md5sum value match the iso?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    did the download server md5sum value match the iso?
    That's burned me a couple of times. The rule is, if you check it, it's ok. If you don't, it won't be.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The rule is, if you check it, it's ok. If you don't, it won't be.
    lol... right on the money!

It's definitely easier to take the extra few seconds and check them.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    lol... right on the money!

It's definitely easier to take the extra few seconds and check them.
    I know. I've gotten lazy. I used to always do those checks. My bad habits are coming back. Still though my google search did turn up a bug with it. I don't like debugging unless I have to. I guess it is solid advice for any level of user. (Even though I dont consider myself an expert, I am confident I can find answers when things stump me.)

Moral of the story: Don't get lazy!