Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I think the problem is that no bootloader was installed on the 2nd drive with linux on it, hence the system cannot 'find' an os. You can use 2 drives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think the problem is that no bootloader was installed on the 2nd drive with linux on it, hence the system cannot 'find' an os.

You can use 2 drives with 2 different os but you need to install a bootloader(grub/lilo) into the MBR of the primary hard drive (in your case the drive with Vista on it). Also it makes a difference how the drives are physically connected in your system (Use bios to set the relevant hard drive as the primary boot device). To simplify things it will be easier to setup the linux drive as your primary drive and have a bootloader on it.. then make an entry for windows and point it to the 2nd hdd with windows. I hope that helps :P

Here is a guide that was posted in another thread here. Use this to learn about GRUB and for your setup.

Linux Newbie
    I've never done this, and IM not tech at all, but i have done 8 linux installs at this point...I think that if you see DOS you have the wrong file system for linux to be installed there, DOS is m.s specific. use a live cd on that hd and see if the partitions are linux ext2/3, if they are windows , you need to reso them.

Just Joined!
    I think by "DOS" he meant the inital bios/system messages you see on boot up.

Linux Newbie
    o.k I see that now...IM interested in how this ends up, because i want to put anthoer drive in my desktop, with mint, to use only for video editing. makes sense that the bios on the main hd would have to point to the extra hd.

Just Joined!
    Well the bios does not sit on the hdd.. it is on the mother board. You just need to put a bootloader, like GRUB or LILO, on the primary hdd which will know the location for all your os drives/partitions. Whether on one disk or on multiple disks. I just think it would be easier to have linux on that primary hdd, so it would be easy to edit and make changes to the bootloader as you install/remove os.

Just Joined!
    The machine is attempting to use the Intel Boot loader to boot from the network.

When the PC is starting (i.e. the "DOS" bit, although in reality it's the BIOS going through it's motions), there should be a key option to either "enter setup (or words to that effect)" or "Boot Options (or words to that effect)". This is normally PF2, PF11 or sometimes even DELETE.

Change the order of the boot devices so that the hard drive with the MBR on it is chosen first. If you installed Linux Mint last, then it will probably be that drive, though you should be able to try both and see what the result is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2