Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have just been googeling but did not find good answers to my question. I try to find information on packaging software in a linux network. Which possibilities are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

software packaging and distribution

Hello.

I have just been googeling but did not find good answers to my question. I try to find information on packaging software in a linux network. Which possibilities are there, which applications do i need and what has to be configured?
    I have a RPM that has to be installed at every users desktop over the local network.
    Any ideas?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What Linux distribution are you using? If its something based on Red Hat (Fedora, RHEL, CentOS etc), you can create a local software repository and then configure the computers on the local network to check for packages/updates in the local software repository. If you search on google for "yum local repository" you should see some articles that may help.

Just Joined!
    Hi

Right now i am using suse, but there will be more distributions. The next would be Red hat and so on...
    Which ways of software deployment are most common in Linux networks?

Thanks for now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Frequently, every system in a network will run the same operating system and distro, so it doesn't matter what is most popular. What matters is what that distro uses.

All of the modern distros have a package management system that allows you to set up a "repository" that contains information on the software and its dependencies. In the case of Red Hat, these repositories contain RPMs: when a system wants to install that software, it will download the dependencies for the software and install them, then download the RPM and install it. In the case of Debian, for instance, it does the same thing, but uses the .deb format instead of RPM.

RPM is used by Red Hat and SUSE, but I believe there are slight differences between these two distributions. Debian and Ubuntu both use .deb.

I agree with daark: set up a local repository and then have all of the systems on your network use it to install software.

Just Joined!
    Hm. What I mean is not to create a posibillity to ddownload and install a software from a repository in the network but for linux administrators to install a software remotely.

For Windows there are lots of tools for packaging software to install it at userdeskops all over the local network

I think there have to be several tools for linux, too.