Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an external 120gb hard drive, with windows XP currently installed on my 30gb internal hard drive. Some of the files i have stored on external hard drive are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing on partitioned External Hard drive

I have an external 120gb hard drive, with windows XP currently installed on my 30gb internal hard drive. Some of the files i have stored on external hard drive are meant for my XP on the internal hard drive.

What i want to know is if I could partition my external hard drive 60gb/60gb so that i can still keep 60gb for storage for my internal hard drive, and put Linux on the other 60gb.

Just Joined!
    You should be able to do it. But before you proceed with the partitioning back up the files on the external drive.. just to be on the safe side. Then you won't have to worry if you mess up

Hi and Welcome !

Make sure to disable Internal Disk in BIOS or unplug it before starting installation. If you won't do that, Linux installer will install Boot Loader ( GRUB ) in internal disk and you won't be able to boot up either OS without plugging in External Disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

But I think that we can configure the boot loader on either disk
    We can select to install the boot loader on the external disk.
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

Quote Originally Posted by vickey_20 View Post
    But I think that we can configure the boot loader on either disk
    We can select to install the boot loader on the external disk.
    Even that doesn't work in a few machines. Some Installers use actual Device names assigned to partitions instead of UUID and this leads to problems later on.
    If you set External Disk as First Boot Device, device name will change for all the partitions of Internal disk.

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    If you set External Disk as First Boot Device, device name will change for all the partitions of Internal disk.
    Can you please elaborate what exactly does it mean.

Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro and execute fdisk -l command. Note down device names ( /dev/sda or sdb ) assigned to internal and exeternal disk.

Boot up from External Disk and execute fdisk command again. Check if device names are same now.
    Device names will be changed and coz of that GRUB will not work.

it is confusing
    the only thing I have understood is that , the HDD on which linux was installed has to be connected to the PC when it starts as GRUB read the second stage from the /boot partition on the HDD. So If I have linux installed on my external HDD and GRUB installed on internal HDD then the system will not boot till the time the external HDD is attached to PC