Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anything I need to watch out for installing on a Laptop? I have installed desktops many times, but I am going to do a clean wipe of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing on a Laptop

Is there anything I need to watch out for installing on a Laptop? I have installed desktops many times, but I am going to do a clean wipe of a laptop and install linux, and was wondering if I had anything I needed to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Humor View Post
    Is there anything I need to watch out for installing on a Laptop? I have installed desktops many times, but I am going to do a clean wipe of a laptop and install linux, and was wondering if I had anything I needed to watch out for.
    Clean wipes are generally the most trouble-free installs for me personally. I can't really think of anything particular to laptops that might trip you up. You're going to have to deal with the same possible hardware problems (video drivers, wireless cards) but your install shouldn't be any different.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    The only problem you can get more often with laptop is strange firmware for wifi devices or specific hardware not automatically detected. Nothing scary with some google help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
    The only problem you can get more often with laptop is strange firmware for wifi devices or specific hardware not automatically detected. Nothing scary with some google help.
    Thanks, will let you know how the install goes

Ya you might end up installing some dirver from the source code. Like I did for my ethernet card ( on RHEL 5) . Which OS are you going to install??
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640

Quote Originally Posted by vickey_20 View Post
    Ya you might end up installing some dirver from the source code. Like I did for my ethernet card ( on RHEL 5) . Which OS are you going to install??
    Suse 11.1 with a GNOME desktop (Going to try something new with GNOME) right now YAST is updating the multimedia, I will not be able to check the wireless till tomarrow as I don't have wireless in my apartment.

Linux Newbie
    I've done almost exclusively laptops, I never thought of them being any different except for the wireless, which I haven't done yet, but may try this weekend. I'm having fun, as I'm getting known as the " linux guy " at my work, and people are bringing me all these broken laptops...which is great, I get practice, with no consequence.....can't broke what's already broke, and so far, I fixed 6 laptops....( every single one was a windows issue lol ) so now they all think Im some sort of computer dude...hope they never see me on these forums and realize, im barley a noob.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Humor View Post

Usually there is no difference.
    Before I'd just try via LiveCD if the distribution comes along with that notebook.
    Also try do you have a CD-drive? Not all notebooks have but it makes installation that much easier.

it is a full laptop, DVD player/burner included, and I have everything working except that I have yet to figure out how to get the network secure, and at the same time let my laptop connect - but I am in a isolated area so I don;t have to worry too much about freeloaders