Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering resizing my local hard drives and possibly moving them around a little, within my local 500GB disk. I have GRUB installed on the MBR, in a multi-boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Would GRUB crash if I repartitioned by local drives?

I am considering resizing my local hard drives and possibly moving them around a little, within my local 500GB disk.

I have GRUB installed on the MBR, in a multi-boot system. If I were to change my current drive structure in any way, would this cause problems for GRUB?

What if I were to perform the partition changes solely from within GParted, in my local Ubuntu install?

I should be most grateful for any advice, as I would not wish to hurt my GRUB bootloader in any way! Thank you.

If you shrink partitions and create new partitions after existing partitions, there won't be any GRUB problem.
    Let me explain a bit more. Let say your Hard disk's partition structure is like this :

/dev/sda1 -- Other OS
    /dev/sda2 -- Linux ( root partition )
    /dev/sda3 -- Linux SWAP

Now if you shrink /dev/sda1, sda2, sda3 and move free space after /dev/sda3 to create new partitions, there won't be any problem. But if you create new partitions in between /dev/sda1 and sda2, partition number of /dev/sda2, sda3 will be changed and GRUB will not work correctly.

I would suggest you to post the output of sudo fdisk -l command. We have to check existing partition structure of your disk so that we can suggest you correctly.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.

Its easy to fix GRUB problem if you create partitions in between existing partitions. You have to edit only two files, /etc/fstab and menu.lst.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

The MBR is installe in cylinder 0, head 0 , sector 1 of the HDD( I think on the sector 1 of the /boot partition . I m not sure about this part though). Unless you dont plan to delete and create a new partition you wont find yourself in trouble i.e shrking will not cause any problem if the structure is left the same and new partition is added in the end.
    Only if I could understand the man pages
    Registered Linux user #492640