Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install a form of linux on my pc for the past two days and have thrown in the towel and decided to seek some help.Hopefuly someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed with Linux Installation

I've been trying to install a form of linux on my pc for the past two days and have thrown in the towel and decided to seek some help.Hopefuly someone here can help me out

First of all my computer is as follows;
    Imedia 1306 (rubbish,and old)
    Mobo Santiago (P5S800-VM)
    RAM 1.2 gb
    CPU Intel Celeron D
    75 gb hard drive with about 7 left at the moment

The first distribution I downloaded was UBUNTU desktop linux from ubuntu com/GetUbuntu/download. When I tried to install it side by side with Windows using Wubi.exe I got an error. When I restarted the computer and booted from the cd I tried to demo it first but I got an error and when I tried just a clean install on top of windows I get the same error which was ''SQUASHFS error:Unable to read fragment cache block'' after which the cd stops and I have to restart the computer. When I check the cd for errors it says it has errors in two files so I re-burned it with other software, to another cd, but got the same errors on the cd and also the same errors during installation.

The second distro that I downloaded was Linux Mint from linuxmint com/download
    When I burned this to a cd I tried to install it with windows but I get an error half the way through saying it cannot read from the cd even though it is in the drive. When I reboot the pc and try a demo or a fresh install it just always freezes on the linux mint screen, the progress bar stops in the middle and then I have to restart

So finally I decided to try Knoppix linux and downloaded it from knopper net/
    I burned it to a cd and again it doesnt want to install, the error I get this time (among others) is ''Compressed Knoppix image is broken cant access tty; job control turned off''

The program I use to burn the images is PowerISO on slow settings and tried using Nero once aswel but got the same errors etc.

I am thinking either my hardware is not compatible/ my cd drive is knackered or the programs I'm using are useless. I hope it is something simple because I really want to kick windows and move to Linux

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Jay

Well first, I would do a md5sum check of downloaded Linux Distro Iso files on your Desktop and check for integrity.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Then if they check out ok, I would go and get a good cd cleaner and run it in windows in case the lens is dirty, Philips Laser Lens Cleaner Cleaning disk - CD / DVD - PC

Then after that is all done. I would use THIS to burn the isos and I would do it at 4X speed. (Though it looks like you did things correctly with power iso. You can use that to if you prefer, just make sure to adjust burn speed to 4x)

If you still have problems after trying out suggestions, (by the way, Walmart sells that cd cleaner) then maybe you might have a flaky cdrom when it comes to booting maybe. You have plenty of ram. CPU sounds ok to. 7 gig left on HD is not much but will do. Make sure you defrag and compress windows before you format drive if you are going to dualboot. Backup anything you think is precious. Just in case.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply rocky

I will do the steps you mentioned and post back my results

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    I've been trying to install a form of linux on my pc for the past two days and have thrown in the towel and decided to seek some help.Hopefuly someone here can help me out

First of all my computer is as follows;
    Imedia 1306 (rubbish,and old)
    Mobo Santiago (P5S800-VM)
    RAM 1.2 gb
    CPU Intel Celeron D
    75 gb hard drive with about 7 left at the moment

The first distribution I downloaded was UBUNTU desktop linux from ubuntu com/GetUbuntu/download. When I tried to install it side by side with Windows using Wubi.exe I got an error. When I restarted the computer and booted from the cd I tried to demo it first but I got an error and when I tried just a clean install on top of windows I get the same error which was ''SQUASHFS error:Unable to read fragment cache block'' after which the cd stops and I have to restart the computer. When I check the cd for errors it says it has errors in two files so I re-burned it with other software, to another cd, but got the same errors on the cd and also the same errors during installation.

The second distro that I downloaded was Linux Mint from linuxmint com/download
    When I burned this to a cd I tried to install it with windows but I get an error half the way through saying it cannot read from the cd even though it is in the drive. When I reboot the pc and try a demo or a fresh install it just always freezes on the linux mint screen, the progress bar stops in the middle and then I have to restart

So finally I decided to try Knoppix linux and downloaded it from knopper net/
    I burned it to a cd and again it doesnt want to install, the error I get this time (among others) is ''Compressed Knoppix image is broken cant access tty; job control turned off''

The program I use to burn the images is PowerISO on slow settings and tried using Nero once aswel but got the same errors etc.

I am thinking either my hardware is not compatible/ my cd drive is knackered or the programs I'm using are useless. I hope it is something simple because I really want to kick windows and move to Linux

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Jay
    Hallo, as you had problems with various distros I think it might be a problem on how you do it.

An error that beginners often do: Be sure to burn the iso to CD (don't unpack it).
    As you got already told The Cd should be burned as slow as possible and "disc at once".
    For the case you can't solve the problem or it has to do with the downloading: Ubuntu offers to send you a totally free CD.
    ( I don't really like Ubuntu so much - I like openmamba, Knoppix, Mandriva, Puppy,..much better.)

I never tried Wubi !

I prepare my harddisk this way:
    • 1. backup of Windows
    • 2. defragmentate Windows
    • 3. Start Linux-LiveCD
    • 4. Start Program GParted
    • 5. reduce the size of Windows-Partition.
    • 6. create two new Primary Partitions
      • In the first one I create various virtual (logical Partitions
        at least one for data formateted with ntfs so it can be used from windows and also from linux
        and at least one per each Linux distro I like to install.
      • The second one (usually 2 x RAM size) I formatate with Linux-Swap
    • 7. I use the installer to install Linux

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice Phil

I'm saving for a new pc anyway so I'm gonna hold off until I get that and then I'll make the switch

Thanks again for everyones help its appreciated!

All the best

Jay

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    Thanks for the advice Phil

I'm saving for a new pc anyway so I'm gonna hold off until I get that and then I'll make the switch

Thanks again for everyones help its appreciated!

All the best

Jay
    Mostly a new PC isn't really necessary (most people doesn't even use things can be done by the old one)
    Which Processor and how much RAM do you have (if it is at least a late Pentium 3 or equivalent) you can make it with linux run.

His specs are good enough Phil. Hell, I am on Puppy 3.01 right now running Live and wirelessly on a Pentium 2, 333 hz, 192 mb ram , 3 gig HD, on a IBM 390 E. I am going to install this puppy also. Runs good on this old clunker.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home