Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am awaiting the arrival of a new computer (some specs provided below). It will come with MS Vista installed. I would like to dual boot with Ubuntu. I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition/raid installation help requested

I am awaiting the arrival of a new computer (some specs provided below). It will come with MS Vista installed. I would like to dual boot with Ubuntu. I would very much appreciate some advice on how to set up the system.

The computer is for work and play. The Vista is pretty much for gaming and a few proprietary apps. The Ubuntu will be used for the following:

Long computational jobs (number crunching)
    Office work (documents, spreadsheets, etc)
    Small application development (in Python)
    Data analysis (statistics, etc)
    Standard internet use (mail, web browsing, etc)
    Music/photo/data storage (lots)
    Quite a few non-distribution apps will be added (on the order of 15-30)

There will only probably be 1 or 2 user accounts.

I am planning on using the 2nd drive as a backup drive. Ideally, this drive would be an identical copy of the first. That is, if the first fails, I could swap them and have a bootable copy of my first drive.

Here is my question: How should I repartition the drive and set up the system to best meet my needs and goals?

Repartition:

I haven't decided on the exact space I'm giving to Vista, but lets say 100GB. What partitions and what sizes (I'm very confused about sizes) for Ubuntu? I'm thinking as a minimum I should have /, /boot (for the dual boot), /home, and /swap. Given the number of non-distro apps I'll be using, should I include a /usr/local partition? If so, is a /usr partition suggested? Would a /tmp partition help with the computational jobs? File system types and sizes and partition types (primary, etc) would be great.

Backup:

Someone suggested I look into setting up the drives as a Raid 1. Is this doable with a dual boot? If so, would that make a copy of drive 1 on drive 2 whether I'm in Vista or Ubuntu? If not, is there a way to do that? Do I need to make any special partitions for Raid to work? Is there a good step-by-step setup guide for Raid (or whatever backup system people suggest)?

Note: I am not afraid of computers, but I am VERY new to linux (I barely understood what I typed above), so step-by-step instructions and small words would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------
    System specs

Motherboard EVGA X58 based chipset with DDR3, PCI Express, 3-way SLI!
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7 processor i7-920, quad 2.66GHz cores, 8MB Cache, 4.8 GT/sec
    DDR3 Memory 6GB DDR3-1333 Triple Channel Premium Memory with Heat Spreader (3x204)
    PCX Video 1GB Radeon HD 4890 GDDR5, PCI-Express
    Hard Drive 1 1TB Hitachi 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA 300 w/NCQ
    Hard Drive 2 1TB Hitachi 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA 300 w/NCQ
    Operating System Genuine Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP 1

Don't see a real need for a separate boot partition. You need a swap partition tradition says 2X memory. Ubuntu be default only installs swap and root. I suggest a separate home. This allows saving of personal data and settings if you need to reinstall. I assume the "lengthy calculation" are also memory intensive and may generate lots of temp files. So either give root lots of space or a separate tmp partition might make sense it really depends on exactly what you intend.

Following traditions is nice indeed. Following common sense and some knowledge may sometimes prove to be even better.
    There is absolutely no need for swap with 6 GB memory.