Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, As a birthday present I treated myself to an Acer Aspire Revo with an Atom processor. As the box is very small it's got no optical drive. I comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

centos usb installer

HI,
    As a birthday present I treated myself to an Acer Aspire Revo with an Atom processor. As the box is very small it's got no optical drive. I comes with some obscure version of linux preinstalled, which apparently is very limited in functionality. I read some reviews on the website I bought it. Some people installed ubuntu using usb pen drives so usb boot is possible.

This box will solve my problems of running hosting my website 24/7. It's quiet, energy efficient and small. I'd like to install centos 5.3 (btw, 5.4 should be here this month, shouldn't it?) I won't even bother with X. After the installation everything will be done through ssh.

So my question is regarding getting a centos usb pen drive installer. I can't seem to find one. I'd appreciate any help on it.

thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You could try creating you own live usb from the Centos Live CD iso using the Fedora Live USB tools. What I am not sure of is whether the CentOS live cd is installable. If you continue having trouble with getting CentOS installed, you could just install Fedora instead.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can create a CentOS liveUSB drive with the Unetbootin tool. It will allow you to install the system. You can download and install unetbootin on the current system and use that to create the bootable thumb drive for CentOS. You shouldn't even need to download the CentOS iso image since it should load it from the internet for you (I assume you have internet access).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You can create a CentOS liveUSB drive with the Unetbootin tool. It will allow you to install the system. You can download and install unetbootin on the current system and use that to create the bootable thumb drive for CentOS. You shouldn't even need to download the CentOS iso image since it should load it from the internet for you (I assume you have internet access).

Thanks guys. I completely forgot to post here.
    I successfully used the following link to accomplish it (the same thing that daark.child suggested)
    https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/ImageFlash

thanks again