Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can I install Linux Windows and Macintosh all on one laptop. I have a Vista laptop, with 2.16Ghz proccessor, 4GB RAM, and 450 GB HDD. Is this sufficient enough to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux, Windows and Mac

Can I install Linux Windows and Macintosh all on one laptop. I have a Vista laptop, with 2.16Ghz proccessor, 4GB RAM, and 450 GB HDD.

Is this sufficient enough to run all three, and do Windows and Mac make Partioning a HDD easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    You can install all 3 on their and Linux and windows should run fine but I can't say the same for Mac. You might end up with some hardware not being recognized, maybe even no sound, due to lack of drivers for mac. You don't need to rely on Windows/Mac for partitioning, just download gparted liveCD and use that to create your partitions.

Remember you need to install Linux last, so create 4 partitions (1 for swap) then install windows first, then MAC and then Linux.

It's illegal to install the Mac OS on non-Apple hardware. They state it in the EULA. Also, I'm pretty sure the OS itself checks to see if it's on non-Apple hardware and won't let you install it without hacking around it.

You can, however, install Windows (any flavor) and Linux (any flavor) simultaneously on a regular PC just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    It's illegal to install the Mac OS on non-Apple hardware. They state it in the EULA.
    I didn't know that. What about on virtual machines? I hear of people installing onto these quite often
    Linux User #453176

IANAL but:

It's not really fair to say that it is illegal to install on non-Apple hardware. The requirements to run on Apple-only hardware come in the EULA, which is not law but rather a contract. Incidentally, if you can continue without agreeing to the EULA you are not bound by it - it is merely an attempt to execute a contract; no contract means no such restriction. Once you own a legally acquired copy of OS X it is still not clear that you cannot run it on non-Apple hardware. EULAs in themselves are not valid in all jurisdictions as the contract is presented after purchase. Here is some more reading on the subject.

With all of that said, there should be no talk of any of the methods used to get OS X working here - or Windows for that matter, this is after all a Linux forum

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    IANAL but:

It's not really fair to say that it is illegal to install on non-Apple hardware. The requirements to run on Apple-only hardware come in the EULA, which is not law but rather a contract. Incidentally, if you can continue without agreeing to the EULA you are not bound by it - it is merely an attempt to execute a contract; no contract means no such restriction. Once you own a legally acquired copy of OS X it is still not clear that you cannot run it on non-Apple hardware. EULAs in themselves are not valid in all jurisdictions as the contract is presented after purchase. Here is some more reading on the subject.

With all of that said, there should be no talk of any of the methods used to get OS X working here - or Windows for that matter, this is after all a Linux forum
    Let's not split hairs. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to legally-gray areas like End-User License Agreements. There is no legally clear way to install OS X on non-Apple hardware, so I consider this issue closed.

Furthermore, the experience in OS X on a non-Apple machine is far inferior to that of a machine running hardware Apple knows about. One of the major strengths of the Apple interface is that they know their hardware inside and out. There won't be drivers for all your hardware and the ones that exist may not work the way you expect. The OS itself could be unstable. It's just not a good idea, legal or not.

If the original poster still wants help getting a multiboot setup with Windows and Linux on his machine, we're here to help. Otherwise I suggest we move on.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 08-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Smile

Well, I seemed to have touched on a nerve here.

Okay, fine, Mac is illegal on a Winmdows computer, but how much room would Windows and Linux need to work together, and would there still be any room to save files, or would it completly fill the hard drive?

Well I from personal experience, I triple boot on a 80 gig hardrive with room to spare, so depending on your needs 450 gig would be plenty for a dual boot Windows Linux Laptop.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Well, thats all well and good, but are you on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose View Post
    Well, thats all well and good, but are you on a Mac?
    Are you using a Mac? That would have saved a lot of discussion :P

How big is the hard drive you're looking to install onto? What sort of things do you want to install each OS to do? For instance if you want Windows for games give it more space, if you want Linux for web browsing and e-mail give it less
    Linux User #453176

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast