Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Congrats Dan, You the MAN! Have you ever considered using the ath5k or ath9k for your Atheros device? I got mine to work and I can't tell you how nice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Congrats Dan, You the MAN!
    Have you ever considered using the ath5k or ath9k for your Atheros device? I got mine to work and I can't tell you how nice it is to install any flavor of Linux and know for sure that my Wireless drivers are available in the kernel. No more MadWifi for me.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I have and use Audacity In AntiX Dapper Dan. Its pretty neat to use for sound editing. I am also starting to look into Exaile also but not for editing music but as a streamtuner replacement for Ubuntu since streamtuner is practically useless in Ubuntu.
    rokytnji, Exaile looks very cool! I'll certainly check it out! Thanks for the tip!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Congrats Dan, You the MAN!
    Have you ever considered using the ath5k or ath9k for your Atheros device? I got mine to work and I can't tell you how nice it is to install any flavor of Linux and know for sure that my Wireless drivers are available in the kernel. No more MadWifi for me.
    Hi Mike! I looked at both and tried to use them but came up empty! I guess I was doing something wrong. Do you notice any difference in signal strength or any other positive differences between these new modules and the Madwifi drivers? with the proper documentation, I might get them working for me yet!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Hi Mike! I looked at both and tried to use them but came up empty! I guess I was doing something wrong. Do you notice any difference in signal strength or any other positive differences between these new modules and the Madwifi drivers? with the proper documentation, I might get them working for me yet!
    Hey Dan!
    I can't really confirm or deny signal strength difference because when I used Madwifi I also used KWifiManager but when I started using athk5 I also started using WICD. WICD does display a better strength than KWifiManager did but that could mean very little. Sorry I couldn't help more. I was getting a few more disconnects when using the MadWifi drivers...I always did have a little bit of trouble with them but they worked.

If you wanna give the ATH5/9K a try, just let me know and I'll try to help.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Looks minimal as heck dan. Just what you were shooting for. I bet that baby boots in lightspeed and runs that way to. Nice job dude.

No matter what I tried, we just couldn't get decent upload times with the Atheros wireless device and ath_pci. The file is very large and it was taking more than thirty minutes for it to upload. I thought about trying the athk5 as mentioned by MikeTbob but we decided wired was our best option. lspci returned:
    Code:
     Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter (rev a0)
    To my surprise, the device did not have drivers available within the kernel. I found the latest driver (atl2-2.0.5.tar.bz2) from here and did this:
    Code:
    tar xvf atl2-2.0.5.tar.bz2
    cd atl2-2.0.5
    make 
    mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.27.8-eeepc/kernel/drivers/net/atl2
    cp atl2.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27.8-eeepc/kernel/drivers/net/atl2
    depmod -a
    /sbin/modprobe atl2
    configured /etc/rc.d/net for eth0, then...
    Code:
    /etc/rc.d/net start
    ...and was connected. The file uploaded in less than six minutes!

Smile Update

I'm really glad I kept a record here of what all I did to get the 701 going with CRUX 2.5 because I'd forgotten about many of the issues I had to overcome. I have two other 701s I want to upgrade to something newer so I think I'll go with one of the distros out there now specifically for the EEE PC. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward BrowserLinux

Update on the machine that initiated this thread:

No matter what I did, the process for recording the file and sending it via ftp was to great of a challenge for some of the operators. I had the idea to simply install a Shoutcast server on the machine and have it send the service to us as a stream where we collect it as a sound file and edit for re-broadcast. All that is needed now is for them to simply turn the machine on. That's it! As long as it has audio piped into it from their mixer board, everything works and is much simpler now.

Linux Guru
    As soon as I saw the thread. I had to scroll and read the pages cuz I forgot also.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward BrowserLinux
    I hear real good things about PUPPEEE made by jemimah (a fine lady)

My latest internal SSD install. Faster than Ubuntu but with Debian Squeeze repos.

AntiX 8.5

On my Asus. Brightnness,Wifi, Suspend, Volume + and - Hotkeys all work. EEEPC (Debian Squeeze) acpi script came stock with AntiX 8.5 Full Iso. Skype microphone and webcam also work as well as Cheese now. Very Happy with AntiX 8.5 so far

Code:
    $ inxi -F
    System:    Host biker Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5 Marek Edelman 11 April 2010
    CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron M (UP) cache 512 KB flags (nx sse sse2) bmips 1800.13 clocked at 900.067 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1024x600@59.5hz 
               GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 915GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
    Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 01:00.0
               Card-2 Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet driver atl2 v: 2.2.3 BusID: 03:00.0
    Disks:     HDD Total Size: 24.3GB (14.8% used) 1: /dev/sda ASUS 4.0GB 
               2: /dev/sdb ASUS 16.1GB 3: USB /dev/sdc CardReader_SD0 4.1GB 
    Partition: ID:/ size: 3.7G used: 1.7G (48%) fs: auto 
    Info:      Processes 89 Uptime 1:06 Memory 120.7/2016.8MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.9
    My Asus is a Celeron instead of a Atom based Asus. AntiX just flies on this with IceApe 2.0.4
    My big deal was moving /home to 16 gig secondary SSD Drive and then Symlinking to / 4 gig drive after virgin install. Then editing /etc/fstab also. Lastly limiting writes to SSD with some help from Reed9.

Whatever you decide to do. Happy rails, Rok

Edit: I am also using a different Lighter music player . You might want to check it out also
    Browse Guayadeque Music Player Files on SourceForge.net

There are tar andtar.bz2 and deb files (which I use) to install that sucka.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast