Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Installing now. We'll see how it goes... Mmmmuuuuhhhhaaaahahahaha! Edit: I used the .config file from the standard EEE PC for kernel compile. I've chrooted into the new install and am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CRUX 2.5 on Asus EEE PC...

Installing now. We'll see how it goes... Mmmmuuuuhhhhaaaahahahaha!

Edit: I used the .config file from the standard EEE PC for kernel compile. I've chrooted into the new install and am doing make all && make modules_install. No glitches so far.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

I'm paying attention Dan. You installing to external SD, USB. Or doing the internal SSD drive?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Internal. I got really snagged up with grub as CRUX doesn't place the necessary "stage1" files in /boot/grub."

Took me a while to figure out the madwifi drivers are not in the kernel. (Guess I've been using Ubuntu a lot lately) Downloaded madwifi, tranferred it over via USBstick and am compiling now.

Appreciate you following along rokytnji!

Snagged up again on madwifi 9.4... wouldn't compile so I dropped back to 9.2 and it wouldn't even check! Read a post that suggested getting the latest madwifi "trunk" driver. Downloaded and compiled without problems. Now to modprobe... *fingers crossed*

ath_pci got modprobed, set the configuration for iwconfig, ifconfig and /etc/rc.d/net and am now updating ports wirelessly!

EDIT: Now have X!

A note, this isn't just for fun. A local church has been using a Windows laptop to record and send their morning service via ftp to my radio station. They are seeking solutions because the laptop is used for other purposes and often gets misconfigured making it difficult to use again for recording and transferring sound files.

I intend to install Audacity and an ftp/ssh client on this EEE PC so we can use it for that specific purpose. This machine won't even have Firefox or OpenOffice! Just two menu choices from a very minimal IceWM desktop.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.

So after you use wireless to download "stuff" for crux you are going blacklist the trunk driver Dan I guess.

On mine I found "Cheese" doesn't work with the internal Webcam. Neither Camorama also. Just in case you decide to utilize the webcam for anything.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

CRUX has a special build script for the 9.2 madwifi driver so I'll download it through ports, uninstall trunk and install the other. I hope it compiles better than my fist attempt "by hand."

I'm kind of digging this OpenBox WM as it is very similar to IceWM but for this application, it likely will be safer to go with something I know.

Right now I'm using 52% of the total hard drive as I did not create a separate partition for /home. I didn't see a need when all that will be kept there are configuration files. The recorded church services will be sent on to us, then deleted from the EEE PC.

Moving right along... I'm presently compiling Audacity. I need an easy as pie ftp/ssh client for them to use and have always preferred Krusader which will require some QT libs. I'd like to go lighter if possible. Anyone know of a similar client that's easy on space and resources we can use to transfer files between machines?

I settled on the Firefox "FireFTP" utility since the interface is somewhat familiar to those who use Firefox. I really wanted to use Tux Commander which is very minimal and would have fit right in with this "shoehorned" system but ftp file transfer over the Internet simply wouldn't work no matter what I did. The developers made a last update in October 2008 so I don't see a fix for it anytime soon. I even considered using Midnight Commander but the command line Interface is not very intuitive for the average user.

Audacity was by far the most difficult thing! I tried several versions from source and none of them would compile without obscure errors that no amount of Googling would rectify. I finally went with a Slackware binary from Linuxpackages.net, opened it and took care of all the dependencies it begged for one by one until it opened.

After I got things in reasonable shape, I went through all packages and deleted everything not needed and I mean to the bone. Still I'm using 60% of th disk. This is not enough to contain the .aup files Audacity will place in /tmp since the church services can run as much as 40 minutes in length. I decided to add a 16 gig USB stick into the mix which is automounted upon boot and that's where the /tmp .aup files will collect and the final destination on this machine after those /tmp files are converted into .ogg awaiting transfer.

In all I learned some neat things!!

1. How to implement the nifty CRUX bootsplash.
    2. That I am Audacity's installation master any time and on any distro or operating system...
    3. How to make a system boot right into the desktop using autologin and a few file configurations... no XDM, GDM or KDM needed!
    4. How to make a Linux system mindlessly simple until someone invents a better fool.
    5. That External USB sticks can be mounted and writable and written into /etc/fstab just like any other drive. (By the way, the USB stick was formatted with reiserfs).
    6. That Linux still rocks and always will.
    7. That CRUX is the most rocking distro that ever met a NetBook!

Screenies will follow soon.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-24-2009 at 02:09 PM.

I have and use Audacity In AntiX Dapper Dan. Its pretty neat to use for sound editing. I am also starting to look into Exaile also but not for editing music but as a streamtuner replacement for Ubuntu since streamtuner is practically useless in Ubuntu.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast