Find the answer to your Linux question:
Some others here have had similar problems, but they usually have an Error code as well. My problem is that I get: GRUB Loading Stage1.5. GRUB loading, please wait.... _ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB Loading Stage1.5. GRUB loading, please wait....

Some others here have had similar problems, but they usually have an Error code as well.

My problem is that I get:

GRUB Loading Stage1.5.
    GRUB loading, please wait....
    _

with the last underscore here being a flashing cursor. I just stays here ( Not hung I suspect because the cursor line is flashing ).

I can access and read/write all my files on the hard drive, so that seems fine.
    I have through 'console' mode only, installed what I believe is a suitable video driver for linux and in particular - PCLinuxOS 2009 distro.
    I have tried various ways to recover the MBR and re-issue grub-install and though all outcomes suggest things have proceeded OK, I still only get this..

Latest attempt:

PCLinuxOS2009 ~ Asus A6Km laptop ~ NVidia GeForceGo7300 ~ 2G RAM ~ 80G HDD

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 3873 1951866 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hda2 * 3873 79162 37945530 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda3 79163 153047 37238040 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda4 153048 193816 20547135 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 79163 101503 11259832+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 101504 105566 2047720+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda7 105567 153047 23930392+ 83 Linux

When I have "Repaired" the MBR ( Usually using 'testdisk' ) and bypass linux (and therefore the grub loader), and attempt to boot straight into Vista, same sort of problem, I get to the single flashing cursor page and that goes to be replaced by the standard "Loading Windows" page with only the progress bar on it ~ only there is no "Loading windows" Progress Bar, just a blank screen with the LCD backlight on ???

So something I did when installing PCLos 2009 changed something. If you suspect it still is the graphics driver then a way of installing a driver for vista ( I have on the hdd a suitable driver ) without booting into anything than what a livecd will do, will be helpful and would allow me to 'Rescue' the MBR again and try for the Vista installation so as to start over again. ( I have exhausted all the options offered by the "Rescue" bit from my Vista installation disk.)

Looking for a complete re-install of everything is not an option ~ shouldn't need to anyway ~ because even the LiveCDs will not boot up in other than strictly 'Safemode'.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what the problem is. You indicate Grub stops at "Loading Stage 1.5" and later indicate you can access/ read/write files? Are you able to boot? PCLinux? vista? both?

This error generally means Grub is looking for the Stage 1.5 file in a place where it doens't exist. Check your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to see what partition Grub is pointing to, should be either hda5 (hd0,4) or hda7 (hd0,6) per your fdisk output. Your vista entry should be (hd0,1)

Just Joined!
    Sorry its taken so long yancek but I've just recovered my hard drive from a qparted mess. Generally my mistake but things can be clearer.

Anyway, I cannot boot into anything and when at the :

GRUB Loading Stage1.5.
    GRUB loading, please wait....
    _

Stage I have even tried the Ctrl+Alt+F2 option but still nothing.

I am right now preparing to re-install Linux cleanly but do not expect any different result.

Have found some other postings elsewhere also but none of them are working at present.

Whether it's Linux or Vista, the boot problem is the same and I'm wondering if my graphics card has a fault as both these distros require specific drivers. Not sure of this one 'cause widows safe mode option doesn't require a video card and I cannot get that far as is with Linux ???

As to the menu.lst location, yep, checked that out several times and your example (hda5) is my root partition with hda2 being my Vista partition. (hd0:4 and hd0:1 apply of course.)

Any thoughts?

Note: Just to add to my woes I believe that /dev/hda1 might be a little out of sorts, just the Asus backup partition and not used since my upgrade to Vista, but just a mention in case it figures.

Linux Guru
    In your initial post, you indicated you could read/write all your files on the hard drive. Is that using a Live CD? since you indicate you can't boot Linux or windows?

If you can access your root partition, look to see if you have the stage 1.5 files under the /boot/grub/ directory.

You could try re-installing Grub if hda5 is your root partition with Grub files. Use the install CD and open a terminal/konsole window and as root (type su or su -) to get a Grub prompt (grub>) and enter the following:

root (hd0,4)
    setup (hd0)
    quit

Did you install Grub to the master boot record on your original installation? What did you do to repair the mbr?

Just Joined!
    thx for that yancek, but my problem seems to be that the graphics card got trashed when I first attempted to install PCLos2009. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not but right now I'm trying to track down a way whereby I can use a LiveCD to check the card out directly.

Basically, right now I'm unable to use any LiveCDs that do not come with there own 'RAM graphics ' package.

eg: I can only boot into my system with PCLos using the Safemode, nothing else works, not even console mode.

I'm also able to boot using a LiveCD I played with a while back " VistaPE" but again I'm unable to establish whether or not the graphics card is actually working.

Using VistaPE I'm unable to actually complete any opening of applications from c: drive but it at least tries. ( I get to see Thunderbird open then immediately crash ~ though started from the application contained on my windows partition.)

Don't suppose you know of a LiveCD that comes with its own graphics app that can check the physical condition, firmware situation and driver compatibility of a graphics card?

Again, thanks for watching out for me, greatly appreciated.