Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I have a 1GB Kingston DataTraveller on which I want to install any small distro of Linux.I have tried to do this using many methods available online but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems booting from a 1GB USB flash disk

Hi all,
    I have a 1GB Kingston DataTraveller on which I want to install any small distro of Linux.I have tried to do this using many methods available online but I still get "Boot error" when I try to boot from USB.
    I have configured my system to boot from USB in the BIOS.My last attempt was using Puppy Linux's Universal Installer which also resulted in failure.
    Please suggest a working technique.Any distro, any version will do...

Have you tried unetbootin?

Also, there are a number of distros which release flash img files, as well as iso files. If you download the image file, you can write it to the usb stick as so
    Code:
    dd bs=8M if=/path/to/image.img of=/dev/sd(x)
    Replacing /pat/to/image.img with the correct path, of course, and /dev/sd(x) is your usb device. (You can find out what your device is called with sudo fdisk -l.) Make sure you're using just /dev/sd(x), without a number following the x, ie, /dev/sd(x)1.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have found some USB drives (especially older ones) don't support booting. I have a Lexar 1GB drive that won't boot, though I have other thumb drives (and SD cards in USB carriers) that will just fine. So, try another drive if possible to see if this is your problem.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am getting pretty confused with all this.Can you suggest me a good distro which you have successfully booted from a USB drive.And yes I have tried Unetbootin...same error occured.

I am working from Windows XP by the way...Do I need a live CD?I have the iso files of dsl.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've used unetbootin from Windows XP any number of times. The fact is that some (especially older) USB thumb drives don't boot reliably, or at all. I have built successful liveUSB drives with unetbootin with the following distributions:

Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04
    Dynebolic 2.5.2
    Fedora 10 (haven't tried 11)
    Knoppix 5.1.1 (CD) and 5.3.1 (DVD)
    Puppy 4.1.2
    Slax 6.0.9
    Workbench Linux 1.4

I've successfully installed Fedora 10 and F11 to usb using Fedoras liveusb-creator from Fedora and from Windows. And as Rubberman stated used unetbootin from Fedora and Windows to install live images of Slax, SAM, AUSTRUMI, PartedMagic to name a few.

Maybe try a different usb device as suggested, they're pretty inexpensive now.

EDIT: just used unetbootin to download and install DSL 4.4.10 to a 256MB Lexar JumpDrive and booted from a Acer Aspire One and it is working well. This usb drive is about 4 years old and I paid about the same as a 4GB drive sells for today
    Last edited by ryptyde; 08-18-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add dsl version

Exclamation

Can you suggest me a good distro which you have successfully booted from a USB drive
    My first attempt is with Slax , It's pretty simple to install and worked perfectly.
    Check out their site : Slax: your pocket operating system
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Over the past two days, i experimented with DSL, Puppy and Slax.Both Puppy and Slax gave me the same "Boot error" at reboot.
    However, DSl showed me a GRUB screen and after selecting "DSL"(the only option), it gave me the following error

Booting 'DSL'

root(hd0,1)

Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 kernel /linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us quiet vga=791 frugal

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

Press any key to continue...

BTW, I installed DSL from within the DSl live CD.
    Do I need to change any settings?

It sounds like your computer doesn't have enough RAM to run these distributions. DSL runs on systems with under 128M of RAM, so either you have a really old system with very little memory on it, or there is some other problem here.

Just Joined!
    My system is old but I am pretty much sure its still capable of running DSL:
    Intel P4 3.0 HT processor with 2 X 512 MB of DDR2 667 RAM.

Is there a workaround for that error or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast