Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Ubuntu on a Vista computer as dual boot. When I tried to make Ubuntu the standard OS by changing the "menu.lst" file, I must have done something wrong. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with BootMGR

I installed Ubuntu on a Vista computer as dual boot. When I tried to make Ubuntu the standard OS by changing the "menu.lst" file, I must have done something wrong. No I can't boot nor Vista nor Ubuntu (message "BootMgr is missing"), only from CD as live-session. How can I repair this?

Arion

Easy Way I guess Super Grub Disk Homepage
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answer.
    I have been on that site before, but I didn't understand exactly what to download. Further, as I can only use Ubuntu live session, am I able to burn a cd-rom?

Sure you van burn a cdrom of Super grub in live mode. Just make sure you use brasario or k3b to burn it as a image instead of data.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Thank you for your answer.
    I have been on that site before, but I didn't understand exactly what to download. Further, as I can only use Ubuntu live session, am I able to burn a cd-rom?
    I believe this is what you are looking for. (version .0797)
    Download Super Grub Disk 0.9797 for Linux - A bootable floppy or CDROM that is oriented towards system rescue. - Softpedia
    See this helpful howto for some good tips on burning CD/DVD's
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    Good Luck and do post back if you need anything else.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for all your help.
    Finally I have solved the problem. I had not been aware of the fact that there are two ways to install ubuntu from the cd: One UNDER Windows and another BESIDE Windows. What I had done first was installing it under Windows (opening the cd under Windows and starting the install procedure. Now, I have installed it directly from the cd, booting ubuntu from the cd and clicking the install icon, and everything works perfectly again, even Windows Vista.
    Thank you again

Arion