Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i just install fedora 7 into my harddisk, i have created the NTFS partition to install window xp, however during the setup it just hang at a black screen, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb unable to boot XP CD after having fedora 7

hello,

i just install fedora 7 into my harddisk, i have created the NTFS partition to install window xp, however during the setup it just hang at a black screen, how can i solve this?

Regards
    puneet vyas

It is much easier if you install windows XP first and then install linux, since windows will load the MBR with its bootloader and overwrite grub, which is not difficult to fix, but can sometimes cause problems. Also fedora 7 is completely outdated and unsupported, I would recommend using the latest which is fedora 11.

oz
    forum.guy
    I agree with coopstah and would recommend installing the latest version of Fedora after you've installed Windows. If Fedora isn't working correctly, you can use the Parted Magic LiveCD to clear the MBR and then your Windows installation disk should boot again.

Post back should you run into any other issues.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ok,i had another problem i changed the mother board having sata hard disk having two os fedora 7 and windows xp,when i start the system with new mother board the fedora boots fine but not xp so i tried with xp cd to repair but it shows blank screen ,this hard disk has unallocated 20 gb space.

oz
    forum.guy
    Clearing the MBR should work to allow the Windows installation disk to boot again in this instance, as well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxpuneet View Post
    hello,

i just install fedora 7 into my harddisk, i have created the NTFS partition to install window xp, however during the setup it just hang at a black screen, how can i solve this?

Regards
    puneet vyas
    Hi Puneet,

Just try newer version of XP (Windows XP SP3) or Windows Vista.
    Because older XP does not have support (driver) for all SATA controllers.

After installing XP-SP3 or Vista, install any Linux Distro you like.

Regards,
    Mitesh