Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi..umm. so I had mint 7 installed from a disk i burnen myself, and was trying to diagnose a problem, I thought maybe my disk was at fault, so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

install over install conflict ?

hi..umm. so I had mint 7 installed from a disk i burnen myself, and was trying to diagnose a problem, I thought maybe my disk was at fault, so i installed mint 7 from a disk out of a magazine over mine..used " use whole disk: option. well, now when i boot up, I never get the page right before the desktop and login that page with memtest and the other kernal version, or wheat ever. it just boots straight into login: my question is, did I some how confuse the bios by installing the identical o.s over itself ?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    my question is, did I some how confuse the bios by installing the identical o.s over itself ?
    No, I highly doubt that your BIOS became confused from Linux being installed over itself.
    oz

Linux Guru
    bigvoo, How about you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst

See if Timeout is set to "0" timeout 0

If it is.

Open Terminal and type in (if using Gnome Desktop)

Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    And change timeout from 0 to like 25 (seconds) or whatever time you wish for grub menu to show up.

To give you a idea. Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst on my Asus EEE running dual boot Xandros and Antix

Code:
    timeout 30
    color cyan/blue white/blue
    foreground ffffff
    background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title antiX at sdc1, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sdc1 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791 
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
    boot

title xandros 4
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.4-eeepc quiet rw vga=785 irqpoll root=/dev/sda1
    initrd /boot/initramfs-eeepc.img

title MEMTEST
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    that's it rok, ironically i just checked back here, I had found a wiki on linux mint having grub problems back in nov 08, so maybe this disk I used is old enough that it wasn't resolved yet...messing with grub is a new step for me, so im going to do it tomorrow when im not so sleepy...( afraid i might wake up and find my comp ingulfed in flames 0o0. but thanks again.