Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i had win98 and win2k partitioned on my hard disk. i then wanted to add linux to my computer so i created a new partition for linux by shrinking win98. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Partitioning gone wrong

i had win98 and win2k partitioned on my hard disk. i then wanted to add linux to my computer so i created a new partition for linux by shrinking win98. I installed linux redhat 9 and it works fine, but i can't load euther of the windows opering systems.

Is there anyway of getting them back or accessing my windows files through linux?

i know that in the earlier versions of linux i could view my windows partition but i don't know how to do it in redhat linux 9.

Thanks for any help you can give me.[/u]

Linux Engineer
    mount -t ntfs.

For example

Code:

Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows
    Make sure that /mnt/windows is a valid directory on your linuxfilesystem. And change hdb1 to the valid name for you win98 partition. i´m afrad the you may have ruined you windows installation and you will not be able to boot on on it.. but you can try to add the partition in your grub or lilo boot loader and reboot.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!

lost windows

I had the opposite problem I installed rh9 linux on a 2nd hard drive but could not access it on re boot all that was available was win xp. I had to use a rescue disk to get into linux so...

I installed "Boot Magic" & on the next reboot All my os'schoices were back.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Partitions

i tried mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt/windows but i get a message saying kernal doesn't support file system. it did the same for my other partition which is fat32. i also tried mount /dev/hda1 /windows this shows the partition but its in wierd characters, like it can't read it properly.

what should i do?

Linux Guru
    How do you mean that you cannot load either of the Windows OS's? What happens instead?

Linux Engineer
    FAT32 is a separate file system from NTFS so you'll need to use mount with '-t vfat.' I'm almost postive that the kernel should support vfat but if NTFS isn't configured, you can probably build a new kernel.
    You stated that you can run 'mount /dev/hda1 /windows.' If you can run this, I'm going to assume that /etc/fstab has taken care of this. Check (or list) the file for the correct file type.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    at the bootloader grub, it shows dos as an option when you select it chainloader+1 is displayed where the computer stops at that screen.

Just Joined!
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /windows

this mounts the drive to windows folder but i cant read any of the directories or files because thay are displayed as #? symbols and some say invalid unicode. Does anyone know why?

Linux Guru
    Try all of these and see if any of them work:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o uni_xlate /dev/hda1 /windows
    mount -t vfat -o utf8 /dev/hda1 /windows
    mount -t vfat -o codepage=850 /dev/hda1 /windows

Just Joined!
    none of those work, they all give similar results. i cant read any of them, they display invalid unicode and wierd symbols.

thanks anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast