Find the answer to your Linux question:
Redhat schrike, When in gnome , I click on the terminal icon...i get, "There was a problem with the command for this terminal: TEXT WAS EMPTY (OR CONTAINED WHITE SPACE) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

terminal problems

Redhat schrike,

When in gnome , I click on the terminal icon...i get,

"There was a problem with the command for this terminal:
    TEXT WAS EMPTY (OR CONTAINED WHITE SPACE) "

I do not see my normal " [gary@localhost gary]$ "

I want to install adobe reader,

and the c-media sound card driver . (I have no sound)

and geforce driver. I have downloaded the Linux drivers and pdf reader

to an icon " gary's home" (/home/gary). I hit ctrl+alt+f1 to get into console.

logged in and saw " [gary@localhost gary]$ " I tried cd /home/gary , didn't work.

I did a dir and all the files i downloaded were there but tar and sh did not work.
    what do I do? how do I search for files?

how do I change or make directories in full console mode or gnome.

How do I find my files when I click on the icon "gary's home"?.... I can see all the stuff

I downloaded..but sh and tar do not work. What do I do?
    I thought I made a directory "download"in the terminal window by using md download but

I can not find it. Iam in root user because i don't know how to set up another account.

Pretty stupid huh? Please help

Just Joined!
    I will try to help you as much as possible...

The terminal problem, I am not sure... Since you sound like a newbie, like me..., you might be interested in the KDE desktop. Before you login, click Session.. and select KDE. Once in there, type Alt+F2 and type konsole. That will give you a terminal. As far as your /home/gary situation, if you did not create any users, and are logging in as root, there will not be a /home/gary It would only be there if there was a user named gary. In order to search for the files, if you are in KDE, click the "K" (like Start in Windows) and select "Find Files" This brings up a traditional file searching program, make sure to select / as the search directory instead of /root In order to make directories the command is "mkdir" instead of "md" Also, since you sound fairly new to linux, I would recommend using rpm files for things like drivers and such. A good place to find these is rpmfind.net

I hope this helps you out...

evan hazlett

Linux Enthusiast
    well, first off, you did create another user, that user name is 'gary'. You set the password somewhere as well. If you don't remember the password, you can change it with `passwd gary` from the command prompt.
    secondly, you are logged in as him if you hit ctrl-alt-f1 and a black box opens up with the text: [gary@localhost gary]$ in it.
    thirdly, you don't have to change directories to get into /home/gary, that is where you automatically start out when you open that black box (called a console)
    fourthly: what do you mean tar and sh don't work? The console showing you "[gary@localhost gary]$" is a bash prompt, showing you that sh is indeed working.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.