Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed linux and managed to mess up my windows partition. i tried mounting the partition but it says the kernal doesn't support filesystem. anyway, when i boot my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to use lilo instead of grub

I installed linux and managed to mess up my windows partition. i tried mounting the partition but it says the kernal doesn't support filesystem.

anyway, when i boot my computer grub appears showing redhat linux 9 and dos, when u click dos it should give the option for win98 or win2000 but it doesn't it just freezes.

So how do i change from using grub to lilo?

Does anyone have a suggestion to how i could get my windows files back?

Linux Guru
    Why ever do you think that using LILO would help? Post your partition setup instead, and I'll try to work around it in GRUB.

Linux Engineer
    I gotta agree with Dolda. GRUB is a much better boot loader for many reasons and it can be configured as easily as LILO. I guess one benefit that GRUB has is after modifying the menu file, you don't have to run GRUB as opposed to LILO where you have to.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    i have one hard disk /dev/hda which consists of

hda1 = windows98
    hda2
    hda5 = windows2000
    hda3 = linux root
    hda4 = linux swap

i originally had two partitions win98 and win2000 but i then shrunk the win98 and made two more partitions for linux.
    The grub shows two linux os (different kernals 2.4.8 and .9 i think) and a dos. when dos is selected it shows chainloader+1 where the computer just stops at that screen.

Linux Guru
    At boot time, try typing c to get to GRUB's command line mode. Then try these commands, and see if it works:
    Code:
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    boot

Linux Engineer
    Pedro,

Which partition is the Windows partition? Be specific.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    windows 98 is on the hda1 partition and windows 2000 is on hda5 which is somehow inside hda2. i dont know how or why it is.

Just Joined!
    when i type:

chainloader (hda0,0)+1
    boot

it returns the message NTDLR is missing

i gather this is a bad message but what does it mean?

Linux Guru
    hda2 is an extended partition. That partition table itself only has space for four partitions, and therefore you need one of the to be an extended partition to have more than four partitions. hda5 is a logical partition inside that extended partition.
    I find it very strange that the Win98 partition would complain about NTLDR being missing. Are you sure that hda5 is win2000 and hda1 is win98 and not the other way around?
    Try it again, but with (hd0,4) instead of (hd0,0). Please note that it should not be (hda0,0), but (hd0,0).

Just Joined!
    im sure it is correct.

i tried hd0,4 and i get a black screen displayed and nothing happens

do you think i should give up and start over with a fresh installation of windows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast