Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi how can I rebuild my System after using the boot disk and the rescue disk? My HDs are empty. I formated them after crashing my last OS SuSE 8.0. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rebuild System with Rescue Disk

Hi

how can I rebuild my System after using the boot disk and the rescue disk?
    My HDs are empty. I formated them after crashing my last OS SuSE 8.0. I have to HDs 4 GB and 40 GB on a Dell OptiPlex Gn 5200EM MMX, 64 MB RAM, 200 MHz. (I know its an old one, but it worked fine already on that machine). Which partitioning would you use?

My biggest problem is: How can I make my CD run again. Its an Toshiba CD-Rom Modell: XM-6202B. If I could make it run again, I could re-install Linux, or?

what do you mean make them run again? (the CDs)
    and i'm guessing that from the name linuxuserohnemodem, you don't have a modem, so a net install is out of the question?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    what do you mean make them run again? (the CDs)
    and i'm guessing that from the name linuxuserohnemodem, you don't have a modem, so a net install is out of the question?
    -lakerdonald
    Hi I neither the possibility of net install nor CD-Rom install cause it doesnīt start. The CDs are o.k. except one that is borken (nr. 4 of 7).

Thanx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    To install from a CD, you must boot to the CD. Have you set your BIOS so that the CD is the boot drive?

If not, then when you turn on your computer, you should see a message saying how to go to BIOS, or how to change the "Settings". If there is no message (and assuming your computer is working okay), you can try pressing Del or Esc or F10 soon after you turn it on, to see if you can get to the BIOS. Save the settings and make sure the CD is in the drive when you reboot.

And if you don't understand BIOS settings, write down everything you see before you change it so you will be able to change it back.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Hi drakebasher,

thanks for your answer, but...
    I changed my bios more than once to boot from cd, but the pc refused to do so. When I started the rescue mode I tried to find the right cd-rom driver module, but couldnīt find one. My Toshiba XM-6202B seems to be incopatible with Linux, isnīt it?

A curious thing is, that I can format all hds and I still canīt boot with a win bootdisk. Somehow Linux ghost-data blocks my system?

Thank you

Linux Guru
    Try this link, and all of the good links on the page: http://jamesthornton.com/redhat/linu...all-cdrom.html
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better