Find the answer to your Linux question:
Haihai. I've got a question for you all. As some of you may know, the Australian government is giving out netbooks to students. However, they come with Win7. Ew. So, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mass Ubuntu Deployment

Haihai. I've got a question for you all.

As some of you may know, the Australian government is giving out netbooks to students. However, they come with Win7. Ew. So, I've been asking my classmates if they want Ubuntu, as they've all been oohing at NBR on my Eee 1000H. A lot of them said yep.

However, as there'll probably be ~15 kids wanting this at the same time, how should I do it? The PXE VM I have came to mind - booting Clonezilla and using a static image - or should I just make a bootable USB and do it one at a time?

Hi,
    You can do a PXE boot Installation
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LocalNet
    or any other method like in
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Quote Originally Posted by raghaven.kumar View Post
    Hi,
    You can do a PXE boot Installation[/URL]
    Yes, I know I can do a PXE boot install. But I was asking if anyone had any better ideas, as the chances of me getting a stable network for something like that is nil.

It would really depend on how long it would take you to set up PXE and how likely you are to use it again. An install of NBR only takes about 15 minutes, imaging might take 8-10 minutes anyway including booting up the imaging client on each one. If you'd use it again and it could save you maybe two hours then a PXE setup would be worthwhile.

Then again, you know with these things it's as much about the fun of using PXE

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    It would really depend on how long it would take you to set up PXE and how likely you are to use it again. An install of NBR only takes about 15 minutes, imaging might take 8-10 minutes anyway including booting up the imaging client on each one. If you'd use it again and it could save you maybe two hours then a PXE setup would be worthwhile.

Then again, you know with these things it's as much about the fun of using PXE
    Yes, PXE is fun. The satisfaction of a 45 minute rollout is immense, as I found out the other night. A diskless Clonezilla PXE boot from across the office is awesome.

And is it only 15 mins? Gawd. Desktop is ~25, isn't it? I spose the USB has something to do with it, though...