Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, i am totaly new to the LINUX environment & this is my First post in regards to LINUX. As in the learning phase, Can someone advise that which LINUX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux

Hi,

i am totaly new to the LINUX environment & this is my First post in regards to LINUX.

As in the learning phase, Can someone advise that which LINUX would i install on my Computer so that work perfectly fine (with no Errors) and takes less time & space.

Currently my Operating System is Windows XP - Professional.

Please give me the instructions so that i can download & enjoy the world of LINUX.

Regards

Sumit Khanna

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Any of the top 5, or so, distros listed at DistroWatch.com will probably work for you, but nobody here can guarantee you that any of the available distributions will work on your computer without any problems, just like they couldn't guarantee that Windows would work on it without problems. Most distributions are free to download, so it won't cost you anything other than some of your time and a few blank disks to experiment with Linux and see how it works out for you.

You can check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

Hope you will have fun with Linux, and do post back to let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yup. Also if you download a linux and burn it to a CD you can try it out without installing it by setting your bios to 'boot from cd drive'. Try multiple distros and find the one which works for you the best, before installing it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux is improving almost daily by huge leaps and bounds! So even if you try a few of the top distributions (and the Live CD is the best way to try them - work off the CD and make no changes to your computer) and none work for you now, wait a month or two and try the newest releases of the top distros.

Some of them get rave reviews but may not work as well on your computer that they did on a reviewer's computer. I read the reviews (they're also linked from Distrowatch.com) and look for one that tested it on a computer like my own to get a better idea of what to expect on my own machine. Milegae seems to vary greatly from one machine to another. One distro works awesomely on an HP computer and performs miserably on a Dell, or vice versa.

I'm loving my Linux thus far, and I didn't think I could ever be geeky enough to try Linux, but it's simple, safe, and wonderful!

Welcome to the forums!

Amy

Just Joined!
    Hi,

thanks for Replying.

I coudn't find any link to download & Install Linux in my sysytem.

Could someone please send me the link or the way through which i can download Linux straight away.

someone have recommend me to download Red Hat Linux which will be best to learn.

Regards

Sumit Khanna

oz
    forum.guy
    Are you sure you want Red Hat?

The later versions cost money if you want updates and support, and the older versions that were free are no longer supported by Red Hat. If you really do want Red Hat, you can find it at redhat.com

You can check DistroWatch.com as suggested above and follow the links there to download just about any Linux distribution that you might want.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi Ozar,

I have seen distrowatch & seen all the links of Red hat Linux.

There is link in Download Mirrors i.e redhat.com/download/mirror

It will take me to the Fedora site where they give options to download Fedora not the Linux.

Please advise for the Linux Download path.

Regards

Sumit Khanna

oz
    forum.guy
    If you want Red Hat, you can download it after buying a subscription. If you don't want to pay money, you can try CentOS, which is the same thing as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but without the official Red Hat logos and the paid support channel:

www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System
    oz

Just Joined!
    There are many kinds of linuxes. Red Hat is a type of linux, Ubuntu is a type of linux, Fedora is a type of linux -- etc.

Just Joined!

Procedure to install with Windows XP

Hi,

I have a computer with Windows XP Professional installed.

With 160 GB hard Disk, i had made partition of 4 * 40 GB each.

My 40 GB (E partition) is unused, now i want to install LINUX on it.

Please guide me how to install LINUX & will the 40 GB partition is sufficient to install LINUX on it.

Also if posiible please advise for the best LINUX sytem to be used & path to Download.

Regards

Sumit Khanna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast