Find the answer to your Linux question:
While installing ubuntu in the partitioner it tells me I have unusable space. How do I use it (I think it should be possible because when I resize a partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unusable space

While installing ubuntu in the partitioner it tells me I have unusable space. How do I use it (I think it should be possible because when I resize a partition to use it for linux swap space It turns into unusable space)? Or how do I insert it into a partition? Also, the partitioner won't let me create a new partition. It might be related due to the fact that it is all partitions and unusable space but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    Last edited by MattS; 09-12-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: forgot new partition

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    While installing ubuntu in the partitioner it tells me I have unusable space. How do I use it (I think it should be possible because when I resize a partition to use it for linux swap space It turns into unusable space)? Or how do I insert it into a partition? Also, the partitioner won't let me create a new partition. It might be related due to the fact that it is all partitions and unusable space but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    R u referring to the swap partition? If so u can't use it... it is only to be used by the OS as a page file if you will compare it to windows. If your drives are allocated with partitions and there is no empty space you will not be able to create a new partition you will need to make some room for your new partitions if you wish to create them. You should make sure you are not deleting your windows installation when you do this if you have one though. You can read this and get a better clue as to what the partitions are about tldpdotorg/HOWTO/Partition/ sorry im not able to post links yet still a noob to the forum.

Just Joined!

Question

So what do I need to do. I have a data, vista, vista backup, and Linux partition. I have plenty of free space, though. Yes, I was trying to create a swap partition. Do I need to make one partition a logical partition or something?
    Is this the website(to do hyperlinks click the symbol of the earth with a chain in the bottom right corner):Linux Partition HOWTO

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have my system setup like so
    /hda1 Vista
    /hdb1 is /10 gigs
    /hdb2 is swap 1 gig
    /hdb3 is /home 240 gigs

fyi I cant do links because I don't have 15 posts yet until then I will just cheat )

How big is the Vista Partition? If it is over say 10 gigs then you could delete it and start over with something like this
    Linux partition ext3 filetype mounted as / around 10 gigs
    Linux partition swap filetype around 1-2 gigs depending I keep reading that people aren't even using this partition anymore but I still do.
    Linux partition ext3 filetype mounted as /home remaining space

That would be a simple partition scheme one like that I use. If you have questions while in the middle of this stop what you are doing undo the changes with the button and come back and ask a question I know it is very frustrating to lose your windows installation when you first start out with linux from experience.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    So what do I need to do. I have a data, vista, vista backup, and Linux partition. I have plenty of free space, though. Yes, I was trying to create a swap partition. Do I need to make one partition a logical partition or something?
    Is this the website(to do hyperlinks click the symbol of the earth with a chain in the bottom right corner):Linux Partition HOWTO
    Well the thing is that the way that partitions are normally set up, you can have only 3 or 4 'regular' partitions. So if you want more than that you have to enclose your additional partitions inside of something called a 'logical' partition which is just a container for normal real partitions.

One thing you could do is delete your last partition, and then make a logical partition which uses up the rest of the disk space and then put the remainder of the partitions you want to make inside of that one.

There may be ways to do it non-destructively (since deleting a partition also deletes that data inside of it)