Find the answer to your Linux question:
All of my HDD space was devoted to Windows Vista. From that, I partitioned off 10GB of 'free space' to install Ubuntu 9.0.4 on. I simply don't know how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Trouble installing on partitioned space

All of my HDD space was devoted to Windows Vista. From that, I partitioned off 10GB of 'free space' to install Ubuntu 9.0.4 on.

I simply don't know how to install Ubuntu on this 10GB of "free space" it sees.
    -I can choose a "side by side" install, but sliding the bar over the "Free Space" only enlarges my Vista partition (which I fear would cause i irreversible damage/data loss).
    -I've read that "largest continuous free space" does not include the space I had partitioned off from Windows.
    -The "manually" option seems my best choice, but I have NO IDEA what file system to use or what to set aside for swap(?) usage...

Basically, I set aside 10GB from my HDD from Windows and I'd like to use that space to install Ubuntu on.

I'm totally new to Linux and this is my first experience on it. I've been trying to read up more, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to start or get enough of a foundation so I don't get lost in translation every 5 seconds :T.

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome !

Its really easy to install Ubuntu.

Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and open Partition Manager. Its in Administrative Menu. Create a new partition of 10GB free space and format it in ext3 filesystem. If you have less then 1 GB RAM then I would suggest you to create 1 GB Partition for SWAP too.

Start Ubuntu installation and select Manual partitioning in Partition section. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Continue installation. Installer if detect SWAP partition, if any. Installer will detect Windows OS too and setup dual boot itself. You will have choice to boot up either OS at startup.

In case you face any problem, execute sudo fdisk -l command in Terminal and post output here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    This worked. Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close