Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am building a new computer that is going to dual boot with xp (gaming) and some Linux distro. I have experience with Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu (not much experience), and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux distro for new hardware?

i am building a new computer that is going to dual boot with xp (gaming) and some Linux distro.
    I have experience with Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu (not much experience), and sabayon.

I'm pondering which distro has the best compatibility for new hardware.
    my computer will have the following specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
    EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard
    Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - 1024MB GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA X2 (has anyone used this i cant find many reviews)
    OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4GB PC8800 DDR2 1100MHz Memory - 2x2048MB

how will this work out in Linux and what is the best distro for these components. Thanks for the input.

Linux Newbie
    Hi Coreyjames25
    I would recommend Fedora 11. I have installed many distros and at this particular point in time I consider it the best. If you make such an install I strongly suggest to get, as the first thing you do after a successful install, is go to URL [http://dnmouse.org/autoten.html]autoten] and download and run the 'autoten' script, as explained on the URL.
    It allows you to fast track many items, mp3 support etc., which you will want I am sure.
    Hope you have a great time with your new build. Cheers...
    Robert

Just Joined!
    cool I like fedora I just wasn't sure if they hd efficent drivers for my new hardware. but fedora never ceases to amaze me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You should be fine with just about any distro using a fairly recent kernel. Most of that hardware has been around for a while now, and running fine under Linux. I'd recommend going with the 64-bit version of whatever distribution you end up choosing if you want to see all of the RAM available for use.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreyjames25 View Post
    I have experience with Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu (not much experience), and sabayon.

I'd choose sabayon. I don't like sabayon because it is so big but with that new hardware this shouldn't be a problem.
    But beside this Saboyon is an excellent distro.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by computerophil View Post
    I'd choose sabayon. I don't like sabayon because it is so big but with that new hardware this shouldn't be a problem.
    But beside this Saboyon is an excellent distro.
    if I were to choose without the input of others sabayon would be my distro. and fedora the backup. I do enjoy both bu since I'm getting mixed opions I do not no whcich direction to take things!

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyjames25 View Post
    if I were to choose without the input of others sabayon would be my distro. and fedora the backup. I do enjoy both bu since I'm getting mixed opions I do not no whcich direction to take things!
    Well that's the thing. Ask 20 linux user which distro is best and you'll get 20 different answers. Well, given how popular Ubuntu is, maybe you'll get 12 different answers.

The ultimate answer is, whatever you like and works for you. I hate Fedora and I've not tried Sabayon, but evertime I look at their website, I throw up a little in my mouth. Not that both are good distros for many people. Sabayon just isn't marketed to me. I like simple, clean distros without a lot of bloat. Fedora and all rpm systems, I can't even place my finger on it, but they don't agree with me. I always seem to have troubles with them.

For my money, you should use Arch.