Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have a laptop with windows xp installed.i don't have any space in it.i want to buy an external harddisk and install linux and oracle 9i in it.the external ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux installation on an external harddisk

hi,
    i have a laptop with windows xp installed.i don't have any space in it.i want to buy an external harddisk and install linux and oracle 9i in it.the external hardisk is to be connected through usb port and will be connected when i want to do shell programming or use oracle 9i.

is it possible to install linux like this?if yes how?

Thanks in advance.

Below is how I installed a Linux operating system on a external drive. I use bios to change boot order as far as which operating system I wish to boot up. That way my internal drive has it's own bootloader and is untouched. Which means it will boot with the external drive unplugged. You can use my instructions for any Linux distro as far as where to point grub bootloader.

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

This should give you a generic idea on how to go about a external hardrive install where you wish to leave Windows operating system and Windows bootloader untouched.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home