Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to switch from windows to Linux I've also ordered a laptop with ubantu 8.04 already on it. But it sound like it is a lot harder to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tried of windows

I'm trying to switch from windows to Linux I've also ordered a laptop with ubantu 8.04 already on it. But it sound like it is a lot harder to get programs to install and work on it. Would there be any truth in that.

No, not really...in fact I'd say it's a lot easier. There's a bit of a myth about Linux that things are hard to install. I think this started either by Windows users who haven't figured out how things work yet or people who only try to install from source (without actually understanding the underlying principles).

If you're running Ubuntu you should have no trouble at all. You can install software through Add/Remove Software or Synaptic Package Manager. The way things work on this side is that you get a catalogue of all available software which can be updated as often as you like and then you install from that list. The good thing is that there is almost 25,000 packages available from the repositories as far as I know

So all you do is open up Synaptic, search for an application or a keyword for what you want to do, select a package and hit apply. It will download, configure and install the application for you

Sometimes people confuse difficulty with unfamiliarity. Applications are installed in a different manner than on windows, so some people find this more difficult because its not what they are familiar with e.g. search the web for what you want then download and double click, click a few next button, finish. In actuality installing software is much easier on linux when using a package manager. You don't have to search around on the net and it is only 1 or 2 click install.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Here is some basic info and concepts you should know.

As said, each distribution maintains an online repository of software, packaged for that particular distribution. It is very very easy to install software available in these repositories. Debian and Ubuntu maintain the largest collection of software of any distro. Most people will find applications to fit all their needs within the repos.

However, if you want software not available in the repository, it can be more challenging. Probably the most common reason for looking outside the repos is to get a newer version of software than is available. The other reason is for certain closed source or patent encumbered software, usually multimedia codecs.

In many cases there are unofficial repositories people have set up for some of the most popular software not otherwise included in the official repos.

One example is Firefox 3.5. Ubuntu 8.04 ships with Firefox 3.0. If you want the current Firefox, you can add a 3rd party repo to get it.
    Ubuntu Blog: Daily Firefox 3.5 / 3.6 Repository For Ubuntu

Another is Pidgin, a multi-protocol instant messaging client. There is a problem with Yahoo messenger that is fixed in a more recent version of Pidgin.
    Install or Upgrade to Pidgin 2.6.1 in Ubuntu(Jaunty, Intrepid, Hardy) the easy way | Ubuntu Manual

And lastly, to be able to play commercial DVDs and some other proprietary multimedia, you need to install software available in the medibuntu repositories.

All of this might seem overwhelming at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to it, and soon it will seem to be a convenient, sensible way to do things. Also less risk of getting malware.

Just responding to your private message here, we like to keep everything out in the open where everyone can benefit
    Hi, I'm happy u responded to my question I am also new to this website. I have one more question if u don't mind I'm trying to install wubi Linux on my windows xp desktop and it's telling me tha I only have 225 mb of ram, so I canceled installation but I was wondering if there would be any problems if I installed it like this?
    You might be a bit low on RAM for Ubuntu, you might consider Xubuntu or Lubuntu which are based on Xfce and LXDE respectively, as opposed to standard Ubuntu which is based on the heavier Gnome desktop. This should make your system more usable with your given resources.