Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, I am a new user and I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop. The C++ compiler that was installed by default is g++ 4.3.3. But for some urgent ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

g++ 3.4.4 installation problem !!!

Dear All,

I am a new user and I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop. The C++ compiler that was installed by default is g++ 4.3.3.
    But for some urgent cause I need to install g++ 3.4.4. I have to run some .cc code (ns-2.29 broadcast algorithms) which were written in g++ 3.4.4.

Could anyone please tell me how can I install g++ 3.4.4 and remove g++ 4.3.3?

Your help is really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Suranjit

Just Joined!
    You can download the source and install in a custom location. That's easier than doing a binary installation.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You don't need to, or want to, remove 4.3.3 - gcc allows you to have multiple versions installed. If gcc 3.4 is not already installed (look for /usr/bin/gcc34) then you should be able to install it from either the synaptic package manager (gui) or apt-get (command line). I'm not sure what the package name is for apt-get, but for Red Hat it is compat-gcc-34, and compat-gcc-34-c++. Look for names something like that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your advice. But I tried to install gcc-3.4.4 but I have failed to do that. In the Synaptic Package Manager, only 4.1/4.2 are available but not 3.4.4. When I installed 4.1 and uninstalled 4.3, the system (from Command Line: g++ -v) showed there were no g++ installed. But again when I installed 4.3, it was fine.
    I think it's better to try to change the source code that I have. Thanks by the way.
    >> Suranjit <<